18 November 2012

Johnny Green, Kay Thompson and Ralph Blane

In 1944, composer-pianist-bandleader Johnny Green, vocalist-arranger Kay Thompson and composer-vocalist Ralph Blane were all among the great array of talent that had been assembled to make musicals at M-G-M.

All had achieved a measure of fame before going to Hollywood; the relative anonymity of the studio would chafe on Green and Thompson, who had been headliners; perhaps less so on Blane, who was content to sing in ensembles with Thompson's singers even as he was co-composing (with Hugh Martin) the songs for Meet Me in St. Louis, one of the greatest musicals ever.

Kay Thompson
The three were friendly, and when Green was commissioned in 1944 to produce an album of his own songs by Decca, he called on the others to help. The resulting eight-song set includes three vocals by Thompson and her group (which almost certainly includes Blane), two by Blane, an excellent singer, two by the obscure Barbara Ames, and one instrumental featuring Green's piano.

Ames, who appeared in a few movies as a singer - although not at M-G-M - actually is not a bad singer at all. Blane is particularly persuasive in "I'm Yours," although "Out of Nowhere," a tough melody to sing, isn't his finest moment. And Thompson's outings are a delight, particularly "The Steam Is on the Beam". Green wrote that song for a short-lived Broadway musical in 1942. This version was in effect a demo for a version of the song filmed for (but not used in) Ziegfeld Follies.

Ralph Blane and Hugh Martin
The cover notes say that the musicians on the date were from Hollywood studios. It seems likely that they were from the M-G-M orchestra. No arranger credits are given, but the orchestrations are very reminiscent of those heard in M-G-M musicals of the time, and I like to imagine that people like Conrad Salinger and Wally Heglin may have been involved.

Although these songs were projected as an album from the start, they actually did not appear in assembled form until September 1947, although most of the items had been issued as singles by then. This transfer is from the 10-inch LP issued in 1950.

Note (June 2024): The August and September 1944 sessions in Los Angeles actually yielded 10 songs - the eight on the LP and two other Green compositions, "Serenade to a New Baby" and "Hello, My Lover, Goodbye." I've now included the latter two in the download, transferred from a Decca single. All songs have been remastered in ambient stereo.

LINK to remastered version

17 comments:

JAC said...

Once again you hit the jackpot for me, Buster. I never heard of this collection, but I'm sure I'll love it!

I'm quite ready to believe that the likes of Conrad Salinger orchestrated these, but (admittedly not knowing the history of the recordings) is it possible that Green did them himself? I know the cover reference to "his music" doesn't necessarily imply that, but it could, and he was certainly capable of doing that kind of work. In fact his orchestrations for the movie "Oliver!" are some of the best ever, I think.

Phillip said...

Buster, believe it or not I owned this LP once long ago (how it found its way to Australia in its original US DECCA incarnation I'll never know) and am thrilled to be re-united with it. It also makes a great companion to your earlier Johnny EverGreens post. Many, many thanks.

MusicalGuy38 said...

Wow so much talent united for one recording session! I just love the MGM sound! Thanks for this terrific post!!

gpdlt2010 said...

What can I say?
Wow & thanks!

Kevin WOlf said...

Thank you!

Scoredaddy said...

ANOTHER GREAT SURPRISE! THANKS A LOT FOR THIS.

oscarjaffe said...

Wow! More Kay and Martin& Blane and THANK YOU!

Ron said...

Another great album! Many thanks!

Mindy said...

Thanks, Buster. Another gem!

Jumpinjeep said...

Very fine stuff. Many thanks.

DonHo57 said...

I never heard of this collection either, Buster, but love hearing Kay Thompson. Thanks for this one!

Sam Irvin said...

Thanks for this essay on this rare gem of an album. For more about Kay Thompson, may I humbly recommend my biography, KAY THOMPSON: FROM FUNNY FACE TO ELOISE (Simon & Schuster), and my companion 3-CD box set THINK PINK! A KAY THOMPSON PARTY (Sepia Records) -- a 75-track compilation of Thompson recordings, including her three numbers from this Johnny Green album ("The Steam is on the Beam," "You're Mine, You," and "Coquette"). For more on both the book and the CD set, visit: www.KayThompsonWebsite.com Cheers! Sam Irvin

Faze said...

Sam! As a longtime Eloise fan I just picked up your Kay Thompson biography and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm late to the party on Kay's music, but I'm looking to learning and enjoying more.

MisaJund said...

Hello
Thank you.

jeronimo said...

waw
Gee
Thanks

j.

Hit Parade said...

Buster,
Thanks so much for this album. Between 1934-1936 Johnny Green had 12 charted songs, and seven top ten hits including "Two Cigarettes In The Dark" (2(3)-Sept-Oct. 1934) and "The Little Things You Used To Do" (2(2)-May 1935).

He never had a hit himself of "Body and Soul", but from 1930-1949 14 other performers did :-)

Morris said...

Thank you for this Buster. I have only known Johnny Green from his work with Fred Astaire on Astaire'searly Brunswick records. In my opinion, those are some of the finest backing arrangements ever,and am looking forward to hearing some more.

Morris