We start with several items from 1950. One of the label's issues that year was a enjoyable double-78 set from the popular hillbilly-hokum band, the Korn Kobblers. Three of the four items on the 78 set are repackaged here. (The pianist-arranger for this group was Marty Gold, who later made many space-age pop LPs.)
Lionel Barrymore had made a famous recording of "A Christmas Carol" a few years earlier. He followed it in 1950 with a breathless dash through "'Twas the Night before Christmas." Finally from that year, we have delightful Jimmy Durante versions of "Frosty, the Snow Man" and "Christmas Comes But Once a Year." Roy Bargy conducts.
Leslie Uggams began making Christmas records in 1953, as a 10-year-old. Here we have her 1954 entry, "The Fat, Fat Man," which is a little too show-bizzy for my taste.
More to my liking is a relatively big hit from 1955 (and a gigantic favorite with the young Buster), "Nuttin' for Christmas," an Art Mooney record with a wonderfully convincing vocal from the great Barry Gordon. For 1956, Gordon changed into a good kid, and came out with the cheery "I Like Christmas." I prefer the kid who "ain't been nuttin' but bad."
The final item is also from 1956, I believe. It is from Mary Mayo, a fine singer who mostly was a studio vocalist. Here she presents "God Bless You, Little Children."
Good sound on these.







21 comments:
Thanks Buster. Looks like a good one!
Good job on finding the source of all these tracks. Now I have to try and find all the missing b-sides. :)
Happy Holidays, Buster, and thanks for these posts.
Iggy
Many thanks for the Christmas music!
Thank you. This is a much better sounding "Nuttin' for Christmas" than the one I had. And I like the cheery "I like Christmas" too.
Thank you so much! This has got to be the greatest Christmas record I ever heard.
I think my favorite is Barry Gordon's "I Like Christmas" I recognize his name. He was on The New Dick Van Dyke Show, as a grown-up
Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments and happy holidays to you all!
Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.
Thanks!
Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com
Sad that the download is disabled by Mediafire! That's why I have changed to zippyshare...
Oh, well. MediaFire got this one.
There was one on Ernie's blog that got pulled recently, and that was MGM, too.
Thank you.
BTW, the narrator on the Tom & Jerry track is Bret Morrison who was a major radio star. He's best known as The Shadow, but had countless other roles.
KL - Thanks for the info!
Buster: If you have an interest in OTR (the Golden Age) and/or more recent dramatic radio (the latter part of the 20th Century, including BBC and South African radio), I can invite you to a semi-private group. Lots of mp3 things to download. I'd have to send you an e-mail invite. You should be able to get my e-mail from my blogger profile, but if you can't: kurtesl@gmail.com
The only rules at the community is to always say Thank You whenever you download something, and to only invite people who might genuinely be interested.
(You can delete this comment when you're done.)
Hi Buster. Great Site! Any chance for a re-up on the MGM? Thanks a bunch!
Greg - Thanks! The Mediafire link above still seems to work.
I finally brought home a copy of this Christmas Is For Children LP today. Unfortunately, there is no sleeve. :( But I'm still happy to find it. I'll catch up with you one day!
Ernie - I thought you had two of everything!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!6AtWTYyD!HlSbIfp5qDT8IgFYb-1crBbbjrQgtbmoCQ1psSFJLaQ
Thanks for the re-do. That sleeveless copy skips on Rudolph, and the more I mess with it, the worse it gets. :(
Ernie - Ah, the recalcitrant skip; I know it well. Reminds me of that Air Force LP you had no problem with. Anyway, you are welcome to use my Rudolph transfer and the scans if you want to do so.
Post a Comment