I have nothing against the other artists, but my real interest here is the items featuring Dick Haymes. They include "The Christmas Song," then new, and "Christmas Dreaming," a fine song that should have become a holiday standard. The arrangements for Haymes are from Gordon Jenkins, and they are worth listening to on their own merits.
Most of the Andrews Sisters cuts are not overly familiar (all the better for that). They are joined by Danny Kaye for one song, and Danny and Patty Andrews do "(All I Want for Christmas Is) My Two Front Teeth." It ought to be unlawful to for adults to do kiddie voices; the results are toe-curling.
Good sound for the period.
![]() |
| Haymes the hat model |




22 comments:
Links
FLAC
http://www.mediafire.com/?r0aptzec8bbvz8a
mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?de8oye11f7jmv15
You can provide your own Christmas cheer for Buster by leaving a comment.
Many thanks for this vintage festive frivolity, Buster.
Wonderful share, Buster. Thanks for this and all the holiday fun and nostalgia you bring everyone. Happy Holidays!
I love Dick Haymes' Christmas songs. Thank you, Buster.
Great Hat!
What a great share! Thank you very much Buster.
Sweet stuff! Merry Christmas!
How come the dogs in the pic aren't whippets? Thanks for the music.
I'll stack (pun intended) Dick Haymes' versions of "The Christmas Song" and "Christmas Dreaming" with anyone's. Why doesn't somebody compile all the great period versions of every Christmas standard. I still don't know why, for instance, the Ink Spots' recording of "White Christmas" isn't in wider circulation. And I love Tony Martin's version of "The Christmas Song." Is my memory playing tricks on me? I seem to recall Chuck Cecil playing Russ Morgan's top-tier version of "I'll Be Home for Christmas." In any case, keep the treasures coming. I don't know if I ever thanked you for the Homer & Jethro records last year. Why don't you dig up some of the more obscure Spike Jones seasonal songs. The world needs to hear "I Want Eddie Fisher for Christmas."
Man, oh, man - thanks, Buster!
I agree with you, Dick Haymes is the reason to listen to this album. Haymes, easily the greatest ballad singer of his genre.
I agree with you, Dick Haymes is the reason to listen to this album. Haymes, easily the greatest ballad singer of his genre.
I love your blog!
Dick Haymes was sometimes cute and sometimes not-so-cute, but his voice was rarely less than dreamy.
Thanks, Buster.
I gave this a listen and liked it. I've rarely found Christmas recordings of swing-era artists that I like.
And that whistling intro to the first Andrews Sisters cut was really, really great.
Thanks (I'm not late, just getting ready for Xmas 2012!)
Seeing your juxtaposition of the Kaye-Jankins axis, may I suggest two? the mid-50s 'Five Pennies' Soundtrack on Dot Records which might be Kaye's shing hour. He holds the stage dearly with Louis Armstrong doing what maybe the definitive version of 'Saints...' and a host of others reflecting the music and troubled life of jazz pioneer Red Nichols (...and His 5 Pennies) that Danny Kaye portrays quite convincingly, given its age and era of film-making, I've always thought. I saw the film NEW as a child and have only seen the movie twice since elementary school. Yet I know this story (movie version) through the songs on the soundtrack...'The Music Goes Round and Round', 'Back Home Again In Indiana'. Tops in my book.
Also have you ever heard 'The Seven Dreams' by Gordon Jenkins and Cast? Similar in form to Jenkins' 'Manhattan Tower' but better and maybe less known. It's a bit dark in places, lingering in the graveyard twice but has enough bastard hope to grab your heart.Also Mid-50s only on Decca. Addicting.
Hello Duncanmusic,
I beleive the Five Pennies is on CD, and I generally avoid those issues. However, I have the Jenkins LP and plan to share it some time in the new year. Yours is the second request I have received for it (or maybe the other was you, as well?).
Better a year late than never.
Thank you.
The Andrews are welcome anytime;
and your recording is clean and impressive.
Thanks a million.
BTW the link for Oiltown USA is dead; are you able to bring it back to life? another thanks in advance.
Bob
Robin - I'll look for it - may take me a while.
Thank you.
Post a Comment