You'll notice that the cover calls this The Little Shows rather than The Little Show. That's because one of the songs is from The Third Little Show, from 1931 - "When Yuba Plays the Rhumba on the Tuba," which hardly merits its inclusion.
![]() |
| Carol Bruce as Julie |
The EP's second side is less enthralling. Sheila Bond (then in Wish You Were Here and previously heard on this blog post) belts "I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan." Her rendition will be a shock to those used to the urbane Fred Astaire-Jack Buchanan version or the wry Sinatra recording.
Finally, Hiram Sherman sprechstimmes his way through "Yuba," Herman Hupfeld's other hit. Arranger Lehman Engel thankfully spares us the tuba effects. I wonder if Yuba, his tuba and Cuba inspired "Katie Went to Haiti," which didn't appear for another eight years. Sherman had won a Tony that year for putting up with Bette Davis in Two's Company, and would win another one 15 years later.
Note that although the back cover credits Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwartz with the score of The Little Show, only "I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan" is by that team. "Can't We Be Friends" is by Paul James and Kay Swift, and "Moanin' Low" is by Dietz and Ralph Rainger.
![]() |
| Morrow and Lanza match pompadours |
Felix Knight is perhaps best known for singing in three Laurel and Hardy films. A reliable artist, he pops up on a number of operetta recordings.
This version of Naughty Marietta was conducted by Jay Blackton, who was in the pit for many famed Broadway productions, starting with Oklahoma. He was conducting Wish You Were Here when these records were made.





16 comments:
Links -
mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?umsugjsfre89qwo
FLAC:
http://www.mediafire.com/?14fdiucbu1bqk79
Thanks in advance for any comment you might wish to leave.
Buster, this is treasure indeed. Many thanks.
Treasure it is, indeed. Thanks Buster! Loads of thanks.
Any post from you Buster is a thrill and this will no doubt be a thrill to enjoy. Many thanks for all your posts. I am sure the effort to put these together is a labor of love, but none the less, the effort must be great. I thank you!
JohnnNUSA
Golly, you are all so nice. Thanks for your continuing support! Your comments mean a lot.
Wow, wow, wow. Just that. Plus another wow. And a fervent thank-you, Buster!
Hi Buster,
Thanks for all the perceptive comments that go with your most interesting D/Ls.
I really enjoy reading your "blogspot".
May you continue to educate and entertain us.
Many thanks and kind regards,
Douglas (UK)
Thanks for posting "The Little Shows"! For the record, "Yuba" was not Herman Hupfeld's "other hit." In the '30s, for some early talkie or other, he did "Night Owl," which had a blissful production number and was recorded by both Cliff Edwards and on a popular Paul Whiteman disc. There was the dumb "Sing Something Simple," that was catchy and popular in a dreadful way, and the much better "Are You Makin' Any Money." Would that the luscious Francis Williams, who intro'd "As Time Goes By" have recorded it.
I'll say thanks before I even listen to these. I love Carol Bruce. But let's be honest--isn't she *really* best known as Mother Carlson on "WKRP in Cincinnati?" Terrific in that part.
@ Jeff Martin - Yes, you are surely right about that.
@Jeffinprov - I think I got carried away when I said Yuba was a hit.
That's Mother Carlson? Who'd a thunk it!
Thank you from Tokyo :-)
Thanks a lot! I must admit ... I've always kind of liked this little "Tuba" ditty by Mr. As-Time-Goes-By Hupfeld ... ;-)
Great remastering!
Buster,
Your incredible catholic taste and knowledge never cease to amaze me.
I was recently in a shop in Montreal, (the source of my recent Hartmann post) which had a huge box of French 10" pop records with incredibly clever 1950's covers, and thought instantly: "ahh... but I don't know heads or tails of these. Buster would have a field day!"
PS That Sue Rainey was a very fine looking woman.
Squirrel
Hello Squirrel,
I was in the record stores of Montreal myself a few months ago. Don't remember seeing those! I do like French pop from the 50s and have quite a bit of it, although I don't think I have shared much here.
Sue still is a very attractive woman.
Buster
@Buster - I knew that you have Carol Bruce...I should have asked it right along :)
Looking forward to that one...Someday...
I first heard her on two songs with Red Norvo...She's way good...
j.
Post a Comment