27 August 2011

Malcolm Arnold's Inn of the Sixth Happiness

I thought I might bring you a few unreissued film scores by the English composer Malcolm Arnold, who died in 2006.

Arnold, who started as an orchestral trumpeter, is perhaps equally well-known for his concert music and his music for the movies. His most famous score is for The Bridge Over the River Kwai.

As Christopher Mowat says in an obituary of Arnold in The Guardian, "his music gave immediate and unconditional enjoyment to performers and listeners alike. It was full of tunes, technically brilliant, extravert, unselfconscious and fun. Occasionally, a darker side to his personality would surface, sometimes in his music or, sadly during several periods, in his mental wellbeing."

Malcolm Arnold
In fact, Arnold was quite a turbulent personality, and some of his later music is desolate. But there is no trace of that in this marvelous score for The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, from 1958. The Swedish Ingrid Bergman stars as a cockney missionary in China, and the main Chinese parts are played by the English Robert Donat and the German Curd Jurgens. The plot involves Bergman leading 50 Chinese orphans to safety in the face of the 1937 Japanese invasion, led by Charles Boyer. (OK, I made that last part up.)

Arnold's music, performed by the Royal Philharmonic led by the composer in this early stereo recording, is varied but entirely delightful. The finest music is during the "Jennie Lawson Passes On" scene, and naturally, that is where my pressing had some issues, which I have patched briefly making use of a separate rip made by a friend of mine. You may notice a few changes in sound during that passage.

More Arnold coming up.


12 comments:

Buster said...

Links -

mp3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?chichg09gr1g3q4

FLAC (two files):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2j9d7eoc3z035jn
http://www.mediafire.com/?kd6im8lg31g3aaj

Your comment will transport me to the Inn of the Seventh Happiness.

jserraglio said...

Thanks, Buster, I am a huge Arnold fan (esp of the symphonies) but have never heard this score.

Jim Q. said...

WOW, many thanks Buster - much appreciated...

Phillip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phillip said...

The real Gladys Aylward, on whose life (and book) this film is based, was apparently very unhappy with this movie, but I think it's glorious (in a "they don't make 'em like that anymore" kind of way), and Bergman is radiant. The Fox DVD has an excellent commentary track featuring John Burlingame and Nick Redman, and is definitely worth a listen.

I never thought I'd hear this album. Buster, I am in your debt. This is a lovely score, one which works superbly in the film.

Buster said...

Thanks everyone.

Phillip - I haven't seen the film, but it did sound interesting to me, in the way you suggest. I love that sort of thing, although I reserve the right to have fun with it as well!

Phillip said...

A right well earned, too. FYI as they couldn't film in China, they shot the picture in Wales!

Buster said...

Which explains the accents in the "This Old Man" number.

aberdeennj said...

Buster, thank you for sharing another great soundtrack recording that has been unavailable for decades. I never thought I would hear this one again.

makropulos said...

This is one of my all-time favorite film scores and one of the few that I've kept on LP (having spent years looking for it). So this upload is a wonderful treat - thank you!

Buster said...

So glad you all enjoyed it!

Honored General said...

Many Thanks for this one, Buster! I have not listened to this in a very long while.