23 August 2011

Buddy Greco

Recently Will Friedwald let me know that Buddy Greco was celebrating his 85th birthday (it was August 14), and suggested that I might want to mark the occasion with a post devoted to the great swinging vocalist.

I'll do better than that - this is the first of two posts devoted to Buddy. Will is a great admirer of his, so let me quote from Will's recent book A Biographical Guide to the Great Jazz and Pop Singers, where he calls Greco "the perfect synthesis of the two greatest male jazz-pop artists of the mid-twentieth century, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole." As Will says, Buddy has the swagger of Frank and the piano skill and precision of Nat.

Buddy in 1957
This 1956 LP, unreissued since then, is a good example. Unlike most of Greco's later records, it features his piano playing along with his singing, with repertoire selected from shows then (or recently) on Broadway. The least known show on the list is the Harry Warren flop Shangri-La, which closed in less than a month. Interestingly, this record contains a song that apparently did not make it into the final show, "Listen to the Sound of My Love." This suggests that this record was taped in the run-up to the show's June opening.

As Will points out in his book, Buddy heavily influenced the swinging side of Bobby Darin, and the template for Darin's biggest hit can be heard on this LP - "Mack the Knife," although Darin's version is more flamboyant and has a big band backing. Greco also influenced (either directly or through Darin) such quasi-rock artists as Bobby Rydell.

Broadway Melodies was Buddy's first LP for Kapp and only his second overall, I believe. Too bad that Kapp did not do very good work on the sound. Buddy sounds like he was recorded in a closet and his band like they were recorded in another closet down the hall. I've done my best to address this, with some success, and the results are pleasant if not the ultimate in fidelity.

As a bonus, I've included a single that Buddy recorded at about the same time as the album. It couples "Love Don't Be a Stranger" with "In Time to Come". The latter is a Carolyn Leigh-Phil Springer song that is strongly reminiscent of their hit for Sinatra, "How Little We Know," which had come out just a few months earlier. Jerry Wald contributes a suitably Riddle-like arrangement to the effort.

These days, Springer is best known for "Santa Baby," but he also had such gems as "I Want Eddie Fisher for Christmas." Carolyn Leigh was just about to embark on a notable partnership with Cy Coleman, which brought forth another Sinatra classic, "Witchcraft," along with such shows as Wildcat and Little Me.

Oddly, the sound on the 45 is much better than the LP. I'll be back at a later time with some of Buddy's early recordings for Coral and other labels.

20 comments:

Buster said...

Links -

mp3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?29fbnm6lbon8f24

FLAC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7czq5kbrdsr1544

Thanks in advance for any comment you might like to make.

Phillip said...

Beautifully introduced, as always Buster and, apart from its value as a tribute to Mr. Greco, the album is a great snapshot of mid-50s Broadway. Many thanks.

Progress Hornsby said...

Buster, this sounds better than it ever has. And thanks, too, for the biggish 7-inch record.

the jazzman said...

Many thanks.

Scoredaddy said...

Yes, Greco is a hugely underrated performer and I thank you for bringing some notice to him!

swingingduck said...

Love early Greco.
Looking forward to hearing this.
Thanks Buster.

Anonymous said...

Sounds much better than the version I had, thanks!

Mindy said...

Another wonderful post. You are the best!

Buster said...

Thanks for the comments, all - I'm pleased that my laboring over the sound has effected an improvement!

David Federman said...

I love songs 'al Greco', as it were. You've opened a new vein of riches here. "Shangi-La" is a glorious song, as is "Listen to the Sound of My Love." As you dig deeper in your library, you might take some side trips to find Bobby Scott and Joe Derise. But, for now, my gratitude gushes once again.

RadioWizard said...

Buster; thank you for the recording. I have only one Buddy album and this will be a nice addition.
Jack

Dan Leo said...

Molte grazie!

Beppo said...

Great rip! Thank you!

Steve Provizer said...

Thanks very much. Great tunes.

jserraglio said...

Thanks, Buster for this excellent intro to Buddy Greco, whom I hadn't heard before. I was attracted by the Broadway theme of the album.

I am finding a LOT more Buddy Greco on spotify.com, a free (ad-supported), legal, excellent, easy-to-use streaming service with over 15,000,000 (yes that's million) popular, jazz and classical items to choose from.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to this...I first came to know Buddy Greco through his astonishing Scopitone for "The Lady is a Tramp." Terrific stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8ryvEWzn0

Buster said...

Thanks again, everybody . . .

Joe - Most of the Greco that's available is from his time with Epic, postdating this material.

Unknown - More to come!

Kevin said...

I was just listening to the very nice "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" and "The More I See You" on this album I got from you a while back and thought I'd come on here and thank you for them. Some nice examples of Buddy sounding lovely instead of swinging his head off (though I always like his swinging his head off, too.)I can see why someone's mentioned Joe Derise. Thanks.

Buster said...

Kevin - I appreciate your coming back to let me know. Thanks!

Herman van der Meij (Toppy) said...

I met Buddy Greco several times. On concerts from Amsterdam untill London and at the house of his manager in London. Perhaps the best album Buddy's Back in Town (only onjJapan CD!). But for me I like all albums. Buddy Greco Fan Herman van der Meij.