I've written before about Mitch Miller, the pop potentate whose first love was classical music, where he was Mitchell Miller, oboe and English horn virtuoso.
Mitch must have been proud of the recordings he made of classical and light music because he made his own CDs to give out to friends and acquaintances, among them Will Friedwald. I am making them available here in tribute to this important personality, thanks to Will.
Mitch had two different CDs. One was his recordings of Vaughan Williams, Cimarosa, J.C. and J.S. Bach, Mozart and Sibelius (The Swan of Tuonela), conducted by Leopold Stokowski and Daniel Saidenberg. The other was of light music fare recorded in the early 50s with Percy Faith, for Columbia (cover above).
We've encountered the Bach and Mozart items on this blog previously (courtesy of Joe Serraglio) -
here. And my friend Fred posted the Vaughan Williams on his blog, Random Classics -
here - along with a few other items that aren't part of this post. I believe I have seen the Cimarosa elsewhere; can't remember where. The Sibelius is new to me, and is excellent.
I haven't seen the light music LPs offered elsewhere - and actually had vague thoughts of presenting my own copies here. But here are both of them, courtesy of Will. It's So Peaceful in the Country features music of Jimmy Van Heusen and Alec Wilder (whose music Miller promoted for decades). There are two additional items by Wilder on Music Until Midnight - Ellen and Piece for English Horn. Both LPs are exceptionally fine examples of the genre.
Mitch Miller was an unusual combination of artist and pop entrepreneur. As he so often did, Al Hirschfeld captures his subject's spirit in pen and ink, on the caricature that Mitch himself chose to put on the cover of the CDs that he used as his own calling card. It wasn't the only time Mitch was depicted by a famous artist - see Fred's blog post for a wonderful, puckish Norman Rockwell portrait that originally was on one of Miller's Sing Along LPs (perhaps Family Sing Along with Mitch).
One of my first records was a kiddie 78 conducted by Miller, so I have been listening to his music literally all my life - and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience (well, maybe not the sing-alongs). A fond farewell to this important figure.
ADDENDUM - My friend Mel tells me the Percy Faith records were recorded in 1954 and 1955. And I really should have linked you to Will's article on Mitch - it's
here.
15 comments:
Hey Buster,
Fine tribute to an American Original, an ICON let's not kid ourselves. I'm saddened that the irreplaceble Mitch did not make the big 1 0 0. They don't make 'em like Mitch anymore, that's for sure.
-Fred
Fred, Mitch Miller is simply not that worthy of grief. He was the man whom Frank Sinatra wanted to punch out and he forced crap upon America throughout the early 1950s. Yes, he was buddy-buddy with Alec Wilder and saw to it that a steady stream of his songs (most notbly, "The April Age") made it to vinyl. Yes, he was a great reed man. But as chief A&R man for Columbia he made a Faustian bargain that set music back and made my suburban childhood more hellish than it might have otherwise been. Miller needs to be looked at from a psychoanalytic perspective because he was a man truly divided against himself (and, by extension, people of taste). I don't mourn him. I'm just glad he outlived himself and the damage he did. They don't amke 'em like Mitch anymore for the same reason they no longer make asbestos.
This is just a CD of Miller stuff from previous albums and is not rare by any means. Just a cheap "give-away"
The last nine tracks are all from Columbia CL 779 "It's So Peaceful In The Country" (oboe, French Horn, Mitch Miller), July, 1956. In additional to those nine, the released album has "Darn That Dream", "It's Always You", and "So Help Me (If I Don't Love You)".
The first part is from Columbia LP CL 551 "Music Until Midnight" (Percy Faith, orch.). "Music Until Midnight", "Contrasts", "Duet" were composed by Percy Faith. "Edelma" by Tucci. "Elaine (Gitane)" and "Lina" by Francis Lopez, "Nocturne" by Griselle. "River" by Carlo Concina and Robert Mellin, "Rosa" by Llossa, "Waltz For Cynthia" by Glanzberg, and "Ellen" and "Piece For English Horn" by Wilder.
Algernon - I don't think I said the contents were rare - I said I hadn't seen them offered elsewhere (which is true). I also acknowledged the originating LPs in my comments.
Woops! a couple of grumpy bottoms there, Buster! For me your information is always complementary to the music and for that I am grateful. Thank you.
I agree with Robert's sane and balanced comments.
Keep up the good work Buster!
Buster -
An excellent addition to the "pictures of people smoking" theme that your site has cultivated!
Bravo.
Buster,
Thanks for these. I love the comilations under MM's moniker.For two more Mitch Miller recordings (even "Algernon" might agree these qualify as 'rare') Handel's Oboe Concerto No. 3 in G minor (1939 with Barlow/CBS SO) and Oboe Sonata in G minor (1938 with Yella Pessl) see an interesting new blog by Bryan Bishop: The Shellackophile.
http://shellackophile.blogspot.com/2010/08/remembering-mitch-miller.html
Bryan's notes state that MM was credited with the English horn solo on Stokowski's 1947 recording of the Dvorak New World, at Sokowski's insistence.
Thanks Joe - I'll bookmark that blog, fersure.
And here's Mitch Miller with Josef Szigeti, et al. in Stravinsky's Pastorale, a stream I converted to 256 kbps mp3. Doesnt sound too bad, IMO.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ov2im4rt5drv42i
Wow, jserraglio, I'm intrigued!...
BUSTER: How do I send you a private message? My email is linked from my website, and if you'll drop me a line I'll respond with my business promptly.
Squirrel
For my own enjoyment, I compiled a 2-CD set of Miller's classical performances. CD 1 is the CLASSICAL one Buster posted here. Thanks again, Buster, it sounds great.
CD 2 compiles other classical material Here's the cover I made with TOC:
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?t4d0e3pfdsyntng
One available Miller issue is the cheap
($3.99), easy-to-download (just register yourself to a city outside the USA) Naxos Classical Archives issue, transferred from LP by Lani Spahr. It includes Arthur Benjamin's Oboe Concerto (arr. A. Benjamin) and Luys Milan's Pavane and Gigue (arr. W.S.Johnson for English Horn
and Strings):
http://tinyurl.com/27swbe8
The composer-led Stravinsky Pastorale [Bert Gassman (English Horn), Joseph Szigeti(Violin), Mitch Miller (Oboe), Robert McGinnis (Clarinet), Sol Schoenbach (Bassoon)] is on Biddulph:
http://tinyurl.com/2fwmy8m
Boy, that's one sure grumpy man, regarding David.
Before you get all sentimental about Mitch Miller, find a copy of the novel "Girl Singer" by Deborah Ishlon.
Ishlon was head of publicity at Columbia Records and worked closely with Miller for years.
The novel is not flattering to him.
Reups - new links:
Mitch Miller - Light Music
https://mega.co.nz/#!ONUWRbba!sF_0803zOy4yr_rXUJiDrfF3ZpCAgiLFeMtBfrJDld4
Mitch Miller Plays Oboe & English Horn (Saidenberg & Stokowski, conductors)
https://mega.co.nz/#!rc8TzYwD!O7PSTfUrG7Obby3LDkjdHW_5FEcl0CrHh9UinfibTpY
Post a Comment