22 March 2010

Johnny Desmond

This 1955 LP, responding to a request by Will Friedwald, finds Johnny Desmond in mid-career, looking for a hit to bolster his career. He had already sung with Bob Crosby and Gene Krupa before the war, notably with Glenn Miller's AEF band during the war, and solo for RCA and M-G-M before joining Coral in 1953.

This 10" album brings together several singles of greater or lesser success for Desmond. Perhaps the most successful was his version of "The High and the Mighty," which short-circuits the eerie whistling in favor of Johnny's vocal, which had nothing to do with the film. Two other film tunes are on board as well - "Tara's Theme" and the "Song from Desiree." The entire second side is collected from an 1954 EP of film tunes.

The title song did have some chart action, and was listed by Billboard as the 48th most popular record of 1955 (right above Chuck Berry's "Maybelline"). Johnny introduced this song on a TV show - the LP cover photo is taken from that program. The ad below comes from that period. It also features a bigger hit - the McGuire Sisters' cover version of the Moonglows' "Sincerely," another indication of the changing tastes of the time.

It would be a stretch to call "Play Me Hearts and Flowers" a great song, then again, the lack of great material doesn't bother me in the least. I am as much an admirer of the canonical American songbook as any vocal collector, but please, how many times can the canon fire off the same shells? If I never hear "Yesterdays" or "I Get a Kick Out of You" again, I won't be sad. I do like to hear lesser-known songs and sometimes they are well worth getting to know. Too bad this isn't one of those times. Perhaps the weakest song here is "A Woman's Loveliest When She Is Loved." The lyrics to this condescending anthem were written by Sylvia Dee, best known for "Too Young" and worst known for "Chickery Chick." There is some groove damage on this item, perhaps intentional. (Note (December 2023): most of the noise has now been removed.)

Johnny does sound good, as always. By this time he had modified the vocal approach that got him called the Creamer and the GI Sinatra (by his publicist, anyway) in favor of a more robust attack similar to Tony Martin. I like the earlier Johnny better, but it's a matter of taste. Desmond went on to record some excellent LPs, for Columbia in particular.

Note (December 2023): this has now been remastered in ambient stereo.

LINK


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Can we get a re-up on this one, please?

KL from NYC said...

Thank you.

Eden78 said...

Thank YOU

Ravel said...

Thanks for all these Desmond transfers. I am discovering him more and more. Weird that it is a tune from a cheap label as Tops that lead me to him: Old Devil Moon, on Tops. But the quality of the recording is great and his voice superb in it ! (the whole album is fine, btw).
I have this 10'' Lp but very damaged. Will be fun to listen to.

Buster said...

Hi Ravel - Let me know how it sounds - I last worked it over almost a decade ago and probably could improve it. Thanks for your note!

Ravel said...

Dear Buster ! I really can't complain about the quality of the transfers. My LP is super damaged, so... --- Curious choice of recordings for Desmond. The other one you have here too, the French songs. But I do think he has a fine voice. Easy to mix with Vic Damone but D has more style. ---- I want to thank you for the last post about Lisa Kirk. Still have to listen to it but will get there. It seems I find more music than I have time :-)

Buster said...

Ravel - I know what you mean about more music than time! Hope you like the Lisa Kirk - she's great.