16 March 2010

Fritz Lehmann


The fine German conductor Fritz Lehmann died relatively young, at age 52, while conducting Bach. That was in 1956.

Lehmann recorded fairly often during his career, but not many of his recordings have been re-released. So I will be presenting a few of them here.

This post includes two 10-inch LPs he made for DGG in the early 1950s. The first is of Brahms' Tragic Overture and Schumann's Manfred Overture. The second is two of Dvořák's Slavonic Rhapsodies. The Brahms is with the Berlin Philharmonic; the others are with the Bamberg Symphony.

I recently had a request for Lehmann recordings, and by coincidence I found several of them on a public domain archive. Because I haven't been able to do any of my own transfers lately because of work commitments, I decided to refurbish these and provide them here. They are well worth your listening time, I think.

I will have a second set of Tchaikovsky and French overtures soon. You might want to go to Neal's Historical Classical Recordings Corner if you like these Lehmann recordings. He has a number of transfers of 78 sets.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE! I will be taking these with me on my trip for sure. The Schumann Manfred Overture is one of my favorite pieces ever, and I dare say it has been under-recorded in the later LP era.

Which PD Archive were you browsing, by the way?

GilinAZ said...

Buster and Squirrel...I have visited Neal's site several times, and he certainly has some historic recordings. There are also several others sites having the same type of archives. One is a French site called "Quartier des Archives".

Gil

Fred said...

Yes, these are fine recordings of an excellent conductor. I had pulled them earlier off of European Archive. It's great that Buster has taken the time to dust them off.

Buster said...

Squirrel - What Fred said.

GilinAZ said...

Fred, I went to the European Archive...also some excellent choices. Zara Nelsova doing Dvorak's Cello Concerto...gee, that goes back a ways :-)

Does anyone know where I can find "Suite For Strings", by Corelli, arranged by Pinelli or Arbos? It is based on his Opus 5.

Gil

Lawrence Austin said...

Thanks Buster. I like Lehmann's work, yet for some reasons the LPs I run across are almost always totally trashed. I've haven't yet pulled this off the European Archives, so I'll happily take advantage of your labor. Lehmann's Bach is very nice indeed, I think, and can you imagine a better way to go than hearing Bach. NOT, mind you, that 58 years young, 6 years beyond F.L.'s age of departure, I'm in any hurry to check out.

Lawrence Austin said...

Gil- I know the piece you are looking for is on a CD, Baroque Masterpieces, available at ArkivMusic on a CD of many Baroque works performed by many different conductors and ensembles. The arrangement from Corelli, by Pinelli, is an Ormandy/Philadelphia recording. I thought I might have the LP, but I cannot seem to find it. Good Luck!

GilinAZ said...

Larry...I found a version of the Corelli at a blog. It's several albums called "Classical Music For Relaxation"...the performance is by Solisti di Zagreb, no doubt conducted by Janigro. It's OK, but think he takes the second movement, "Giga" a bit too fast, for my taste. The Ormandy recording slows it down a bit. I've listened to both the Pinelli and Arbos versions, and really can't hear any difference. I really didn't want having to download so many albums, just for one selection :-)

Gil

Muff Diver said...

Well Buster, looks like my string of viable links for your fine Tchaikovsky rips has finally been broken.
Bummer!
Any chance this can be reupped by the winter holidays?
Thanks for all the other excellent rips with working links!

Buster said...

Sure, assuming I can find the files!

Buster said...

Here we are - newly remastered and in Apple lossless format:

https://www.mediafire.com/?j5jeiedmt1874e5

Muff Diver said...


Thanks very much, Buster!

Anonymous said...

Lehmann was an outstanding interpreter, forgotten now since all of his records predated stereo, I think. Some were in superb hi fi sound but the domestic American LP releases of the DG masters were always on the American Decca label, which used asphalt in their LPs (that's a joke, son: but it sounded like that!)

I will try to find a Lehmann item or two that slipped so far between the cracks that even DG has not reissued them; but until I turn anything up, here is some more robust German music: Schubert symphonies (both authentic, as well as a 19th century reconstruction), from two old Lps that I used to treasure. Sym 2 and 6 by Marcel Couraud (Vox); and the Joachim arrangement of the "Grand Duo" sonata as an orchestral symphony, dubbed "The Gastein" (Felix Prohaska, on Vanguard.) The text info file contains documentary information and my explanation about what had to be done to try to make the Prohaska blog upload finally endurable to today's CD-imprinted listeners. Covers, too.

https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/3WkB8vpl/file.html

144 MB file is zipped from mp3s, and unfortunately Zippyshare will deleted it on or about 8/24/18.

8H Haggis

Anonymous said...

As promised, a Fritz Lehmann item that is not well known. There seems to be a sort of "gray market" CD (or CDR) available from Amazon; my suspicion is that it PROBABLY originated from the same blogger upload that I obtained about a decade ago; I *wish* I could remember who did it! Yeoman work was obviously done to reduce the American Decca surface noise.

Bizet Symphony in C; Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite; Bamberg SO, Lehmann. Plus cover pic and Discogs info; two zipped mp3 files; 41 MB.

https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/n8P4boew/file.html

30-day availability ONLY.

8H Haggis

Anonymous said...

BTW, for years a fave of my Lp library was Lehmann's very expressive performance of Dvorak's Serenade in E, also with the Bambergers. I let this Lp go before having the ability to digitize it. Have it, Buster?

8H Haggis

Anonymous said...

Here are three venerable records of the so-called "Corelli Suite for Strings". The Pinelli arrangement has been used by Ormandy and Koussevitzky, and the Enrique Arbos version by Hans Kindler (33 MB zipped archive):

https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/6Xa8ccBw/file.html

8H Haggis - file above will only last 30 days, so OP probably will never get it; drat!

Buster said...

Belated reply: I only have a couple of performances of the Dvorak that I can recall, and the Lehmann is sadly not among them.