06 October 2009

More Borodin from Stokowski


A short while back, we heard from Leopold Stokowski and His Symphony Orchestra (how many other conductors were billed as having his very own symphony orchestra? Beecham? others?) in music by Falla and Borodin.

Here is another Borodin piece - In the Steppes of Central Asia - that Stoki recorded during the 1950 session that also produced the Polovtsian Dances. The two works apparently were combined on this 1954 issue to capitalize on the increased interest in Borodin's music occasioned by the musical Kismet.

I love the cover photo. Stoki looks like he is trying to halt an orchestra stampede. This kind of overdramatic pose is great fun; puts me in mind of ferocious middle linebackers or marauding stage juveniles.

The download includes only the Steppes; see the Falla-Borodin post for the other music. The pressing is a little crackly - it was one of those stealth bad pressings that looks nice but plays noisy.

LINK

5 comments:

A N Other said...

Kostelanetz, Farnon, (Morton) Gould, Barbirolli (Chamber Orchestra) - the habit seems to have died out.

Thanks for the earlier Berlin Stravinsky LP.

A N Other said...

"Stealth pressing" - a good description. I had a couple of those and washing made no difference whatsoever - I think the crackle was inbuilt.

Scoredaddy said...

thanks for a good laugh, Buster (the cover photo comments and football picture)!!!

Anonymous said...

As issued around the same time, here is one of the numerous versions of the Dvorak "New World" Symphony that Stokowski bequeathed (I lost count; somewhere around 9, including those by the acoustical process!) This one was put down on either 30th Nov 1949, or perhaps Dec. 1947 (a discography that is presumably fairly authoritative prefers the later date.) It was released on 78s, 45s, and LP; and the transfer is from 33.3 rpm Victor LM-1013. The sound is quite good but, as I explain on the attached text file in the folder, there was a VERY peculiar 'vocal intrusion' at the end of the scherzo. Was it a fault introduced by the uploader of the original transfer (a blogger no longer on the net) or an absolutely bizarre mistake of editing in the LP? I have no idea but have fixed it, and also included a snippet of the original flaw for those who might be curious.

https://www74.zippyshare.com/d/KemdPKvg/23149/Dvorak%20New%20World%3b%20Stokowski%20LM-1013.zip

--or--

https://www74.zippyshare.com/v/KemdPKvg/file.html

(112 MB zip; FLAC lossless format; plus original LP cover image and discog info; file available for a short time period and will be deleted around 11.12.18.)
8H Haggis

Buster said...

Hi 8H - This does sound good; I'm in the mood for some Stoky.