
Back in television's early days in the US, the networks scheduled prestige programming on an occasional basis, including new musicals from the leading lights of the theatre. The CBS network presented Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella in 1957 and Cole Porter's Aladdin in 1958.
While neither were considered the best that the composers had to offer, Cinderella was better received than Aladdin, which was Porter's final score.
While the music for Aladdin is not well remembered, in truth it is not as bad as its reputation would suggest. This may be because the songs were presented on the program by character actors (Cyril Ritchard, Dennis King) and weak singers (Sal Mineo, Anna Maria Alberghetti). The music itself is far better served by this single-sided promotional LP that CBS issued some time before the telecast, using unidentified but quite good vocalists and elaborate choral and orchestral arrangements, presumably the work of Robert Russell Bennett.
It's not at all clear how this LP was to be used for promotion. The show was scheduled for the DuPont Show of the Month, but the LP doesn't mention the sponsor at all, so it wasn't DuPont's doing. Because the show was part of an ongoing series, the LP probably wasn't used to drum up a sponsor. It could well have been instigated by Porter himself, in the twilight of his career, and the LP is introduced by the great man himself.
If you have the CD reissue of the Aladdin LP issued by Columbia after the television show, you will have heard these four promotional recordings, but not Porter's brief introduction. So what's new here is Porter's voice and the record covers. Perhaps a meagre offering, but a fascinating one - and one of the personal favorites from my collection.
For our non-US friends, the giant orb below is the CBS logo, as seen on the LP's back cover.
REMASTERED VERSION - JANUARY 2015

11 comments:
Thank you very much for this rarity. I would like to take issue with one comment you made, though.
Whatever else she may have been, Anna Maria Alberghetti certainly wasn't a weak singer.
She was a trained opera singer. Maybe she didn't put her "all" into these admittedly sub-standard final Porter numbers.
From Wikipedia on Anna Maria Alberghetti:
"Alberghetti was a child prodigy. Her father was an opera singer and concert master of the Rome Opera Company. Her mother was a pianist. At age 6, Anna Maria sang in a concert on the Isle of Rhodes with a 100-piece orchestra. She performed at Carnegie Hall in New York at the age of 13."
I'm most familiar with her from the Original Broadway Cast recording of CARNIVAL, where she sounds great (and for which she won the Tony Award as Best Actress).
@ Clarx,
I thought someone might take issue with that characterization. I have all of Alberghetti's LPs, so I am not unfamiliar with her work. However, her voice is small and weakly projected in the Aladdin songs. I suspect she may have toned things down for TV, but I don't think she did the music justice, compared to the demos. Others may disagree - as I am sure you do!
Thank you very much - what a find! I'm not familiar with this at all and am really looking forward to listening to it.
You have evoked more memories from the past... One of my colleagues was an opera fanatic - her two favorite singers were Maria Callas and Jussi Bjorling. And she really didn't think much of Anna Maria Alberghetti either...
THANKS BUSTER. i CANNOT BELEIVE THERE WAS A TIME WHERE US NETWORK TELEVISION WOULD BROADCAST A NEW WORK BY COLE PORTER OR RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN. INCREDIBLE!
many many thanks!
Thanks for pointing this out to me Buster. A fine addition to my collection.
Thank you!
I wonder if it could be possible to gently re-up this one, Buster ...
Yes please, a re up would be fantastic.
Does this have "Come To The Supermarket"?
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!yEkmTbwD!VPdTFP1Y_etORo5tfnjbK-FuDCqHsmgxmleiqXeTjM0
Contents of the demo:
1 Cole Porter Introduction
2 Aladdin
3 Trust Your Destiny to Your Star
4 I Adore You
5 Opportunity Knocks Just Once
Thanks for the reup, Buster!
Post a Comment