When the Warner Bros. were casting the 1953 film
So This Is Love, they needed a good looking woman who could handle both popular and operatic material. Who better than Kathryn
Grayson, the wide-eyed, bow-mouthed wonder, to grace the screen as Grace Moore, a famous personality of an earlier generation.
Moore is forgotten today, but when this movie was made, she was well-remembered as a star of the opera and musical stage, films and records who died in a 1947 plane crash.
Grayson was similarly versatile, and she had to be to handle what is presented here, everything from Mozart and Puccini to "Everybody Ought to Know How to Do the Tickle Toe," a dreadful 1918 novelty number. She is better used in Berlin's waltz, "Remember," where her wistful quality is most affecting.
I don't believe this soundtrack LP has been reissued, so it makes a nice addition to our earlier posts devoted to this
enduringly popular artist.
11 comments:
Thanks fellow Clevelander! I don't remember Moore, but I've adored Grayson since my first childhood viewing of Showboat.
Buster, with Aladdin, Flame And The Flesh and now So This Is Love, you've just scored a hat trick!
Thank you very much.
I was wondering why I didn't remember this film. Now I realize why - it was titled "The Grace Moore Story" outside the USA ...
Buster, thanks for another great soundtrack. Please keep them coming!!!!!
Put Grayson with Berlin and Youmans and the results are unfailingly wonderful. Put her with Pucinni and maybe she sounds a trifle thin, but nevertheless admirable. I forget how many times you have proved that she was a great singer, but you have accomplished one important objective of blogging by bringing her talents to so many of us. For that you are to be thanked--at times it would seem daily.
You neglected to mention that her co-star in this movie was Merv Griffin!
I bought this LP ages ago, hoping that Merv would show up in the soundtrack. No such luck.
@ Lee,
Didn't Merv record for RCA, or am I misremembering? If so, he could have been on the LP. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know what he sang - presumably he didn't follow up Mi Chiamano Mimi with Mi Chiamano Mervin.
Good day Buster,
Still trawling back into previously unexplored territories of your superb fascinating and informative blog.
Grace Moore - "grew up" with this singer ringing in my ears - a favourite of an uncle of mine.
Would be obliged if you would RE-UP this one also.
Many thanks.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Douglas, Unfortunately, it will take me a while to get to all your requests. I redo anything that is more than a few years old, and I am finicky.
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!fBkxhIQa!YPCJ3YTKEedOorgPMm-7usjqs4kktGY2cu7xpXPwKPY
Many, many thanks for finding this file again.
I will definitely look forward to listening to this re-up.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Post a Comment