06 July 2009

Digression No. 16

One thing I've learned in running this blog is that every post - no matter how obscure - has an audience. Case in point is the recent post of a Mennonite revival service from the mid-50s. I figured there might be very few takers for that one, but I was wrong. Part of the reason is, no doubt, referrals from like-minded bloggers such as Lee Hartsfeld, whose MY(P)WHAE blog posted an LP of Mennonite music on the same weekend (and what are the chances of that happening, I wonder).

Gospel music may never be as popular as Mel Blanc, Mary Martin, unreissued soundtracks, or some of the other items that I present, but it still has its adherents. And even if a high percentage of those who download are just curious, that's fine with me. Curiosity is what this place is all about.

Speaking of being curious, if you are wondering about the single most popular record ever featured here - far and away the most popular - it is the very rare 10" Ferrante and Teicher Christmas album from last December. Re-reading my commentary on that LP, I clearly was more interested in the cover than the music. Others strongly disagreed.

But it's also true that some of my personal favorites have achieved a good-sized audience - such as the Irene Dunne 78s that I posted twice and the Vaughan Williams Wenlock Edge-Pilgrim's Progress LP.

I have no lack of 10-inch albums yet to present (trust me), but I also have started a few series of 12-inch LPs in genres that I like or that readers really want, such as rare soundtracks and American classical music. I probably also will start featuring some 12-inch LPs by obscure pop singers from the 50s. And I am sure some other surprises as we go along.

5 comments:

Moe said...

Thank you for sharing your collection. You've helped me discover some wonderful things!

D said...

I had actually forgotten all about the 10 inch LPs until I stumbled onto your site and now I'm totally addicted. I don't download many of them but I find the whole sub -genre fascinating. What was the thought process at the record company that some recordings would be released as 10 inchers as opposed to 12? Thanks for the site. It's great.

Ernie said...

Keep up the good work, and when do we get more covers from, umm, that one guy, err, who's name escapes me. Crap. Those purple and yellow covers... You know... Anyhow, thanks for all the shares!

DZONDZON said...

!0 inch, 12 inch, 45, 78. Whatever, I trust your taste. Don K.

Buster said...

Hello all - sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for all the comments.

D - Interesting question that deserves some thought. As usual, there were many factors involved. I'll prepare a post on the main blog.

Ernie - That's a funny thing. Every time I come across one of those covers, it has the wrong record, or a common record, or no record at all. So I'll have to post a few without the music!