26 July 2009

Dancing with George Siravo


Returning to our series of postwar dance bands, here is another "dance date" as presented by Columbia in 1950. This one features George Siravo, who didn't have a road band but who was making a name for himself as an arranger for the finest singers, including Frank Sinatra, Doris Day, Buddy Clark and later Tony Bennett.

Siravo has achieved some latter-day acclaim for his instrumental LPs as well, although this one (his first) is relatively unknown, but very worthwhile. As this album's excellent anonymous notes point out, his "firm, catchy beat" is in evidence throughout the set.

Siravo was doing quite a bit of work for Sinatra around this time, and his tune Barbecue Riffs on this LP later turned up on a Sinatra session as Farewell, Farewell to Love. Siravo didn't, however, do the arrangement for Frank; Ray Conniff did.

As with the Hal McIntyre record below, Columbia touted this album as presenting continuous music (in the process creating its own variant spelling for "medleys"). On the McIntyre set, the songs were linked by brief celeste interludes. Here Columbia just clomps them together.

13 comments:

Scoredaddy said...

Thank you Buster. I have always been a Siravo fan, particularly of his Columbia work with Sinatra (Sing and Dance With Frank Sinatra is an example), his collaboration with Tony Bennett on the Who Can I Turn To LP. Also, Siravo's arrangements graced Sinatra's first Capitol LP (Songs For Young Lovers) although Siravo received no credit. He was an underrated musician. Do you happen to have Polite Jazz, a Kapp LP?

Buster said...

Scoredaddy - I do have that one. Also Everything Goes (Epic), Darling Please Forgive Me (Mercury), Portraits in Hi-Fi (Decca), Swingin' Stereo in Studio A (RCA), Old But New (Vik), and Swing Hi Swing Fi (Vik, reissued in stereo on Camden as Siravo Swing Session).

Your Pal Doug said...

Portraits in Hi-Fi!!!!
I heard Palsy Walsy on one of those Golden Age of Light Music. If you put that up, I'll put up Bernie Wayne's "A Man and His Music" which has "The Telegraph Operator & The Chorus Girl" also from the Golden Age series. All ripped, just having a little trouble with my scanner for the cover.

Scoredaddy said...

Buster, I would LOVE to see POLITE JAZZ posted here sometime in the future!!!

Buster said...

OK, we'll continue with a Siravo thread here, to add to the seventy-eleven I already have underway.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?5gszvlv1mewmq32

Scoredaddy said...

thanks again! any chance of some more Siravo titles, Buster!?

Buster said...

SD - I had a flurry of them several years ago, then nothing. I have lots of them, so I'll try to locate one or another for you.

Scoredaddy said...

thanks, Buster! Siravo is certainly a name that deserves to be wider known

StealthMan said...

Yes, dance music from this era and Siravo are two of my favorites. I, too, hope more of him comes our way. Thanks, Buster.

StealthMan said...

This is great dance music, Buster. Thanks for providing it.

On the back of this LP, they list other Dance Date recordings. Are any of them on your "dance card" to offer here?
(I didn't list the Les Brown you have posted)

Dance Date with Harry James CL 6138
with Xavier Cugat CL 6121
with Percy Faith CL 6131
with Tony Pastor CL 6122
with Hal McIntyre CL 6124

They also list "Dance Parade" records. Does anyone know what the difference is between a date recording and a parade recording?

Harry James Dance Parade CL 6088
Kay Kyster Dance Parade CL 6061
Les Brown D.P. CL 6060
Benny Goodman D.P. Vol. 1 CL 6048
Benny Goodman D.P. Vol. 2 CL 6100
Dorseyland D.P. (Jimmy Dosey) Cl 6114
Tony Pastor D.P. CL 6070
Ray Noble D.P. CL 6065
Dick Jurgens D.P. CL 6072
Count Basie D.P. CL 6079
Frankie Yankovic D.P. FL 9505
Claude Thornhill D.P. CL 6050
Woody Herman D.P. CL 6049
Frankie Carle D.P. CL 6047
Gene Krupa D.P. CL 6066
Latin-American D.P. FL 9516

Can you tell I'll just anything to get more dance music? :)

Buster said...

StealthMan,

Actually the Hal McIntyre LP has appeared here - look under links at right. I may or may not have some of the others - I'll check and see what may be in the piles.

Muff Diver said...

How can you have too much of a good thing in this dance music? I think Stealthman was onto a good idea...

I'm grateful to be finally discovering these fine rips.

Thanks for sharing your Big Band dance music, Buster, and for keeping the links active long enough for me to finally 'wake up.'