14 November 2008

Yeomen of the Guard with Barbara Cook and Alfred Drake

Today we have a very unusual item - a promotional record made for a 1957 televised presentation of Gilbert & Sullivan's Yeomen of the Guard, with a cast that included Alfred Drake and Barbara Cook, fresh from Candide.

I'm no expert on G&S, but I have not seen this record noted elsewhere, including the on-line Gilbert & Sullivan discography. (The Yeomen page has a very good article on the production.)

The record is a 7-inch EP issued by the NBC publicity department. My copy does not have a cover, and I doubt it came in one.

These songs are not excerpts from the televised production itself, which probably was transmitted live. These were pre-recorded with piano accompaniment in place of the Franz Allers-led orchestra that was featured on the Hallmark Hall of Fame program.

The sound is good, and reveals fine performances by Alfred Drake, Barbara Cook and Bill Hayes, and a soggy one from Celeste Holm.

NEW TRANSFER

6 comments:

Kwork said...

Wow! Am I really the first comment for a 9 year old post? Well then. Thank you Buster! This is much appreciated!

coppinsuk said...

Many many thanks Buster.

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

Charlot said...

Belated comment: I saw a kinescope of this production. It was severely cut. Cook was almost unbelievably gorgeous and had just the right voice. Alfred Drake was miscast as the hapless jester: His voice too solid and his appearance too handsome and noble. Henry Calvin (of Zorro fame) was fine as Shadbolt considering what little was left of his part), and Celeste Holm was completely lost, wrong style, wrong voice, wrong everything.

Buster said...

Charlot - Henry Calvin! Wonderful. Thanks for the comment, belated though it may be.

JAC said...

I've seen the video too (it has received an "official" release by now, though my copy came from dubious sources a while back). In theory I can see a "real" voice cast as Jack Point -- Thomas Allen did very well with it on the Philips recording. But in fact, Drake did indeed play the part like a Shakespearean tragic hero, and also made himself the narrator of the whole thing. Cook is indeed delightfully right in every way, and it's lovely to have another video document of her glowing early years (the Bloomer Girl telecast is another such). It's too bad about Celeste Holm; she was apparently determined to prove that (despite Ado Annie) she had had classical vocal training, but this performance won't make the case for her.

Buster said...

JAC - That Bloomer Girl sounds great. WIll have to seek it out.