
Here's an LP requested by my friend Mel (welcome back!).
This the first time we've encountered George Greeley here as a pianist, but we've already seen him a couple of times as an arranger and conductor.
Greeley, who died only last year, was quite a talent - he also composed, with perhaps his greatest hit being the theme from the TV show My Favorite Martian. (See his obituary here.)
He was an exceptional pianist, as you can hear in these sides, which are from about 1954.
Love the cover, which reminds me of the elegant soirees in my own drawing room. (Of course, I have to move the records out of the way first.)

4 comments:
When you so kindly posted here the Diana Lynn LP Piano Moods, I read for the first time that her piano arrangements were by George Greeley. At first I was astounded, but then I realized that what I had wondered about for decades - how such a young pianist could have devised such imaginative arrangements as the one for Rodgers’ “Lover” for example - was explained - although she was a brilliant pianist and was perfectly able to play those arrangements so beautifully, she did not create them.
The question now arises: how is it that Greeley never attained (on record) the same level of brilliance on his own recordings - great as they are…..
Alas, we shall never know. But I can’t thank you enough for finding this LP and sharing it with me.
The Link is Broken
Dowload not avaliable
I just heard samples of this at the Amazon UK site, so I hope this one makes it into the queue for re-uploading.
Thanks, Buster.
Here is a version remastered from the mp3 files, now in Apple format:
https://mega.co.nz/#!3B9BRIiB!ElEupvEUyzpuFjm7HpsCdSUzlWvMQMGlrRJVEAUZZrI
Post a Comment