One of my favorite singers is Ronnie Deauville, a superb vocalist who started out in the post-war big bands (Tex Beneke, Ray Anthony) and then had a solo career. Deauville was capable of creating an intimate mood and achieving a personal connection with the lyric rivalled only by the very finest singers. Yet he is almost unknown today.
Some of us who are among a small band of Ronnie collectors are getting together to make his out-of-print recordings available again. We're led by that indefatigable promoter of fine but neglected vocalists, Bill Reed, via his blog the People vs. Dr. Chilledair. I've mentioned Bill before in connection with two of my other enthusiasms, Page Cavanaugh and Jackie Paris.
Bill has already posted several sides, with more to come, including contributions from me. You can find much more about Deauville by doing a search on Bill's blog.
Also, Bill has graciously sent along a contribution to this blog, his rare copy of a 10-inch record devoted to the music of Alec Wilder (link in comments). These Octets were a specialty of the great songwriter/composer, whose style combines jazz and neoclassical influences, with perhaps a small piece of Raymond Scott. (The first item is titled Jack, This is My Husband.) Delightful stuff and highly recommended - as are the Ronnie Deauville recordings!
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago


6 comments:
Here is something most interesting that I didn’t know about. I did a little research on the internet and found this info:
Alec Wilder Octet:
Jimmy Carroll (cl), Mitchell Miller (oboe, English horn), Eddie Powell (fl),
Harold Goltzer (bassoon), Reggie Merrill (b-cl),
Dick Wolff (harpsichord), Frank Carroll (b), Gary Gillis (ds).
Recorded in 1947.
Mitch Miller? Oh yes, he is a schooled classical musician, believe it or not.
I have a strong feeling that this album will have a prized place in my collection, and I can’t thank you and Bill enough both for introducing it and for sharing it.
Hi Mel,
Thanks for pointing that out. Bill did give me the personnel on the recording, and I forgot to include it!
Since Rapidshare is defunct, can you re-upload these octets? Thank you!
perdido - Let me see if I can find them.
Here is a refurbished version. I've added scans as well:
https://mega.nz/file/XRUEVJTA#Eg85NFDzXOT_SRHYSor5yrMb3A_V90Ut-nFI1zo3vwM
Thank you!
Post a Comment