26 August 2026

Dolly

So much has been written about the life, career and legacy of the great Dolly Parton that anything I post here would approach the superfluous. But let me say a few words and post a few songs anyway, as a brief remembrance.

For those who do not know her songs and singing, the photo above may be misleading. Dolly was known for her wildly artificial look. But if you examine the photograph closely, you will also find evidence of her great sincerity; her ability to perform simple songs with simple messages in such a way that they transcended artifice to reach the very core of the listener.

Today we have one of her best and most famous albums, 1973's Jolene, which begins with its deservedly famous title song where she begs a beautiful rival to stay away from her man. The other side leads off with a second astonishing (and famed) composition, I Will Always Love You, supposedly written in farewell to her singing partner, Porter Wagoner, whose act she had joined at age 21. This heavily gospel influenced number was later to become a mega-hit for the remarkable Whitney Houston, herself from a gospel background.

Gospel - along with true folk music - was the root of Dolly's career. She learned music from her parents and relatives in rural Tennessee. The talent and endless drive was hers alone. Allied to a big heart, and a welcoming and accepting nature, she became a legend, and rightfully so.

In addition to the LP, I have added another of Parton's greatest songs, and my personal favorite, the hugely affecting and deeply meaningful Coat of Many Colors from 1971, which somehow captures both her hardscrabble background and her great humanity. May she rest in peace.

LINK

13 comments:

John said...

MANY thanks for posting this. Dolly was truly special and will be greatly missed.

Buster said...

It was truly a pleasure, John - thanks for your note.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore thanks you for your tribute. It is the best I have seen because it comes from someone who knows music better than anyone else he has ever known.

Ernie said...

Amen.

gimpiero said...

GREAT!
I would also like to mention one of the most beautiful Christmas songs of all time
https://youtu.be/GOzi-gD7-ts?list=RDGOzi-gD7-ts

Buster said...

Dave - Thanks so much; that's one of the greatest compliments I've ever received.

Buster said...

Ernie - She was one of one.

Buster said...

gimpiero - It really is terrific; thanks for the link!

Stephen said...

Thanks for the tribute. I would also add her wonderful sense of humor--about life, love, and herself, for that matter. One of my favorites of her songs is the wickedly funny "Travelin' Man" (her first recording of that one is best).

Buster said...

Thanks, Stephen - well said. Some wonderful recommendations here!

rev.b said...

The odd thing about Dolly’s passing is that, instead of tears, I’ve been flooded with laughter and warm feelings of joy. The laughter has come from the jokes and clever turn of phrases her interviews were always peppered with. The joy has come from remembering all the kind things she did and said during her well-lived life. If only our 1% billionaire Epstein class would display one tenth of the kindness, good works and charity Dolly gave the world, it would be a brighter, happier place. One of my favorite ‘Dolly tales’ I’ve heard only recently was the time she entered a Dolly Parton look-a-like contest….and lost!

Buster said...

rev.b - Lovely words, much appreciated! As for the lookalike contest, perhaps she chose the wrong wig.

rev.b said...

She did say she didn't want to look TOO Dolly-ish, so she enlarged her beauty mark and toned down her usual style a bit. I wonder if she ever came clean with everyone in attendance......