19 November 2025

Arrau Plays Schumann, Vol. 1

I recently had a request to re-upload a Myra Hess program that included Schumann's Études Symphoniques. It inspired me to transfer some other notable recordings by that composer. Today we begin with three relatively neglected pieces, as played by one of the great 20th century pianists, Claudio Arrau (1903-91).

Arrau's pianism was regal without being ponderous, qualities that were well suited to Schumann, although less perhaps in these pieces than some others. The recordings were made in 1967 and 1968. My transfer is from an original Philips pressing with excellent sound.

Claudio Arrau

Leading off the program is the Faschingsswank aus Wien, Op. 26, a title that is variously translated as "Carnival Jest from Vienna," "Carnival Scenes" or "Carnival Tales," etc. The work is episodic, so the latter two are perhaps more appropriate.

That work is followed by the brief and relatively popular Arabeske. The major work is the Humoreske, little played but very worthwhile.

Harris Goldsmith of High Fidelity was convinced of the pianist's merits in these works: "[Arrau's] approach to Schumann combines massiveness with lucidity, freedom with stringent literalness. Arrau has a big plushy tone capable of infinite color gradations and marvelous pianistic control that permits him to weight chords convincingly and articulate all configurations with complete clarity. He sometimes has an undue penchant for the affetuoso touch and the redundant Luftpause, although moments of metrical waywardness are kept to a minimum in these particular performances. Some may think Arrau's playing a mite too studied, though in this instance I found his performances to be an unalloyed joy."

Robert Schumann

The Gramophone's Joan Chissell was of two minds about the recording: "Arrau's playing is extremely searching. Some of the reflective interludes [in the Humoreske] are outstandingly expressive and beautiful. What I miss from time to time is a feeling of glistening, improvisational spontaneity - such as a youngster like Rubinstein would most certainly have brought to the work. Arrau is too serious for Schumann at this time in his life - still only 29."

I do think a few touches of fantasy might not be out of place in these works, but there is no denying that Arrau's pianism is still a source of wonder.

LINK

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Much appreciated Buster. Thinking of Schumann, Do you have a recording of someone/anyone playing his Carnival, Op.9?

rev.b said...

That was me, just forgot to choose my ID.

Buster said...

rev.b - Thanks! I probably have Carnaval, although possibly not by Arrau. I'll look for you.

Buster said...

rev.b - Yes, Kempff and Michelangeli. I'll try to transfer the former, but it may not be for at least a month. Sorry!

rev.b said...

That'd be great! No worries, I can wait. I was introduced to that piece via Benno Moiseiwitsch, not so much a recording but a release from the late 60's of a player piano recorded in stereo running a scroll he created back in the day.

gimpiero said...

Great

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

centuri said...

Was fortunate to attend a few Arrau's recitals, only memorable moments ! Finally, I don't care much if his Schumann would be 'too' serious or not....just listen to a great musician, a deep sound and his thoughtful interpretations. Thanks for this post dear Buster !

Buster said...

Thanks, Jean - good perspective on Arrau. What a superb pianist!