22 December 2023

Christmas Music by Bax, Holst, Rutter and Vaughan Williams

A quick post to conclude the Christmas season here - a very good LP of music by or arranged by the English composers Arnold Bax, Gustav Holst, Ralph Vaughan Williams and John Rutter.

The performers are the Plymouth Festival Chorus and Orchestra, a Minneapolis organization, under their long-time director Philip Brunelle. This record dates from 1984. It is a follow-up to a 1983 LP I shared last year.

Philip Brunelle conducts
The most interesting music on the LP is the contribution by Arnold Bax, his "Five Fantasies on Polish Carols." The carols themselves are lovely, and are set off by Bax's heavily chromatic orchestral style, such a contrast to the simple carols. The effect is heightened by the charming performance of the Bel Canto Voices, a choir of high school-age girls.

Sir Arnold Bax
The Holst carols come from 1907 and were originally set with piano accompaniment. Producer Cary John Franklin contributed the effective orchestrations heard here.

John Rutter is famous for his carol settings today; even 40 years ago he was renowned for his music. This LP adds seven of his works to the like number contained on the 1983 album I mentioned above. Also, a few weeks ago I shared a "Carols for Choirs" LP that includes five of his compositions.

Today's album share is completed by that Vaughan Williams seasonal staple, the "Fantasia on Greensleeves."

My best wishes to everyone for a fine holiday!


16 comments:

Laurie G. said...

Thank you, Buster! Merry Christmas!

gimpiero said...

GREAT!!!

Buster said...

Thanks, Laurie and gimpiero - Merry Christmas!

Rich said...

Buster, thank you for all the nice Christmas offerings this season. Merry Christmas.
Rich

Buster said...

Thanks, Rich - Merry Christmas to you as well!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, not just for the great music, but for all the work you put into telling us about each selection. Merry Christmas!

Buster said...

Anon - Thanks so much and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

centuri said...

Again so many rarities, Carols are a great source of inspiration: thanks Buster !!

Buster said...

My pleasure, Jean - have a great holiday!

Thierry said...

Merci beaucoup pour ces jolies pièces et joyeux Noël depuis la France ! Bien à toi.

Buster said...

Joyeux Noël, Thierry! Merci pour tout le soutien et les commentaires.

Ernie said...

Merry Christmas to you and and yours, Buster! Congratulations on another Christmas season well done!

Buster said...

Thanks, Ernie - Hope you are having a great holiday season!

Bryan said...

Thank you Buster for offering the two links featuring the Plymouth Festival Chorus on Ernies' blog.
This is the first one I have listened to. I really enjoyed it as well as the album Ernie had shared.
The second album is still in my queue to be listened to. I am sure it will be just as good as the other two have been.
I truly love and appreciate a well trained Choir, let alone the orchestras and the material that is performed.

I wish you a Good New Year and beyond.

Buster said...

Hi Bryan - I'm so glad you like this material! There is quite a lot of choral Christmas music (and otherwise) on this blog. If you search on "choir" in the top left search panel, they should come up. Also in the tags, Christmas and King's College Choir (among others).

Bryan said...

Thank you for this information. I will check it out.