21 July 2023

Tony Bennett

In his brief assessment of Tony Bennett's career for the New York Times today, critic Jon Pareles asks an interesting question: "Has there ever been a more purely likable pop figure than Tony Bennett?" My guess is that the answer is "Yes - but not many." And I can't think of one offhand.

Bennett's career lasted for seven or eight decades - he was singing in 1940, made his first record in 1949, had his first hit soon thereafter, and was famous to a greater or lesser degree ever since.

Bennett had a lovely voice, powerful but well under control. He could swing, and was an eloquent advocate of the so-called "great American songbook." Yet he also managed to work with everyone from Elvis Costello to Lady Gaga.

Tony recorded a vast number of records, most if not all of which have been reissued. That was not the case when this blog began, and in 2009 I devoted three posts to his early 1950s records - 10-inch LPs, EPs and a single.

Earlier this year, I posted Bennett's first record, made under the name of "Joe Bari" in 1949. It is a significant rarity, so I was excited to find a transfer of it on Internet Archive, which I cleaned up for the singles blog. I'll never find a physical copy - the 78 has auctioned for up to $3,900 - so the transfer will have to do. In researching this post, I was amused to read in the admirable Bennett discography on jazzdiscography.com that, "According to the 1968 profile of Tony Bennett in Billboard, the only known copy of this disc literally disintegrated at some point in the 1960s."

For this tribute, I've redone all my Bennett posts in ambient stereo, added recording information to each and cleaned up the graphics. There are 28 tracks in all. Here are links:

The Complete 'Because of You'. Columbia issued two LPs with the title "Because of You" in the 1950s, with overlapping contents. I combined them for my first Bennett post. This and all the posts below concentrate on the singer's first years as a recording artist.

Two EPs and a Single
. Here, too, Columbia issued records with similar contents, and again I put them together in one package, adding a then-unre-released single for good measure. That isn't a particularly good photo of Tony on the cover, but it does capture his joie de vivre.

Alone at Last. One more 10-inch LP that reissued some of Bennett's early singles. I believe that all the posts above were inspired by my friend Scoredaddy, an early supporter of this blog and the greatest Tony Bennett enthusiast I know.

Joe Bari. Tony was not Tony when he first recorded; he was "Joe Bari" for a 1949 single on the tiny Leslie label. At that time, he wasn't the artist he was to become a year or two later, but still, he was recognizably Tony Bennett even under another name.

The links above take you to the original posts. The links will be at the end of the comment sections.

12 comments:

gimpiero said...

Great!!!

rev.b said...

Thanks!

Paul said...

Nice post. Please check out this interview Tony did in 2012 on the topic of his friend and roommate, David Allyn "The Singer's Singer". https://rumble.com/v31fxfk-tony-bennett-interview-topic-david-allyn-the-singers-singer-september-24-20.html

Charlot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlot said...

Thanks for the URL. I started to listen and, late as it is, I just couldn't stop, what with Bennett's typically gracious and generous manner and the superb music tracks of both Bennett and Allyn.

Ernie said...

I appreciate the career that Tony Bennett carved out for himself, but his voice and style never appealed to me. I've tried to listen to any number of his albums, and they've all left me cold. Quite the artist though, and sorry to hear of his passing. Can't think of any of his peers that are still with us, me may be the last of the bunch.

Paul said...

@Charlot, I know what you mean. When Les first let me know he was doing interviews with many of David's peers, a series called "David Allyn, The Singer's Singer" I was amazed with the accolades given to David. David was a dear friend of mine and I miss him every day. He and Dick Haymes come across to me as extremely special with that unique honest approach to singing.

Buster said...

Paul - Many thanks for the link. As you know, I am a great admirer of David (also Dick Haymes!); I only wish there were more records by him!

Buster said...

Ernie - I think he may have been the last of the great singers who started out in the 1940s. Sue Raney also inhabits that same realm (at least to me!), but she began her recording career in 1957, and is still active, to my knowledge.

Paul said...

@Buster, you should get the CD recently released which I produced for the Acrobat label. I provided the tracks and remastered the tracks as well. It is called "I Like The Likes of You". My favorite tracks are on CD1 which is taken from his broadcasts during his Capitol years, 1955 and 1956.

Paul said...

@Buster, here is the link from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Like-Likes-You-Broadcast-Recordings/dp/B0C3WHKLZ7/ref=sr_1_8?crid=FVA865LHVP18&keywords=dick+haymes+I+like+the+likes+of+you&qid=1690246403&sprefix=dick+haymes+i+like+the+likes+of+you%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-8

Buster said...

Thanks, Paul - I will order that posthaste.