There were, and this post presents all such Victor recordings that have not previously appeared on this site, mainly drawn from two 10-inch LPs in my collection, Piano Program and Plays Harry Warren. Both albums came out in 1951, although the sessions were held mainly in the previous year. In addition to the LPs, we have two songs from a 1947 single that hasn't been offered here before.
As far as I can tell, if you combine this post with my previous efforts, you will have all of Previn's early piano sessions on RCA Victor. You also will have the even earlier recordings he did for the Sunset label, and a bunch of later material - a film score, songs, pop records and a classical date. Previn could - and did - do it all in the realm of music.
I also want to plug a related new post on my other blog - it consists of four live recordings released by the Modern label. These apparently came from a 1947 "Just Jazz" concert held in Pasadena. Also on the singles blog, you'll find an earlier post presenting several Previn V-Discs dating from 1946.
André Previn Piano Program
The André Previn Piano Program LP includes the following songs that will be new to those who have been collecting my Previn posts: "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year," "Dearly Beloved," "I've Got My Eye on You" and "September in the Rain." The other two songs on the album also appeared on Camden reissues I've uploaded previously.
Previn's accompanying trio on the LP includes Bob Bain, guitar, Lloyd Pratt, bass, and Ralph Collier, drums. Several of the songs also have string arrangements, which Previn presumably wrote.
The cover above may look familiar to those who have followed these posts. One of my earlier collections included an EP that had the same busy graphics as this LP, but different contents. This is the opposite of the usual record company approach, i.e., the same contents with different covers.
André Previn Plays Harry Warren
By 1950, Previn was an old Hollywood hand, having worked in the studios since he was in high school. For this LP, he paid homage to another LA luminary, the songwriter Harry Warren.
For a renowned songwriter, Warren was unusual in that he wrote primarily for the movies. All eight tunes in this collection were first heard on a sound stage. The liner notes mention that Warren did not achieve the same fame as other leading songwriters, even though he had won three Academy Awards. But his compositions were known far and wide, as you will discover when you scan the contents for this disc.
The following songs have not appeared here before in a Previn version: "I Only Have Eyes for You," "I'll String Along with You," "Lullaby of Broadway," "I Know Why and So Do You" and "Jeepers Creepers."
Bain, Pratt and Collier again compose the backing trio, but there are no strings arrangements in this set.
"I Didn't Know What Time It Was" and "Should I"
Our final Previn record on RCA is a 1947 single coupling of "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" and "Should I." As far as I can tell, it has not been reissued.The backing musicians are Al Viola, guitar, Lloyd Pratt or Chic Parnell, bass, and Jackie Mills, drums.
This record comes to us from Internet Archive, cleaned up for posting here.
To close out, let me add one more plug for the post of Previn's four 1947 live recordings issued on the Modern label, new on Buster's Swinging Singles.





27 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/GQNUmRra#XWxCLsOm1G9SCxvZoo2QBEpjVgLTE9znHuxA2Px6Clk
I sure do love Previn's jazz piano work. There are two albums I was wondering if anyone reading this might have in digital form; Plays Fats Waller https://www.discogs.com/André-Previn-Plays-Fats-Waller/release/4459097 and All Alone https://www.discogs.com/André-Previn-All-Alone/release/6038602 The second one was never reissued. The fist one was, but was incomplete. Whether or not, thanks Scoredaddy for asking and Buster for answering yet again. The weekend playlist is now all set!
Amazing!!! (as usual).
Thanks Buster. Magnificent!
Thanks for the comments, all!
rev.b - I do have the All Alone LP. I don't have the Fats Waller album (which I think was originally on Tops), but it has been reissued.
Hooray! I grew up in Pittsburgh knowing Previn as the conductor of the Pittsburgh Symphony and only learned of his jazz roots much later. I enjoy these recordings a great deal. - Jeff
Thanks, Buster, for more pop from the Swing and Post-Swing era. I love it.
I'll also drop a name of something that appears not to have a legitimate cd release: The Jolson Story. If you have it, it would make a great companion to your Eddie Cantor Story!
Jeff - A fine conductor! When he died, I searched around for something orchestral that hadn't been reissued but couldn't find anything!
StealthMan - I don't think the soundtrack to the Jolson Story ever had a legit release. Decca issued several LPs with the name "Jolson Story" but I believe those were reissues of his early recordings. (I could be wrong; I'm no Jolie expert!)
thrilling to see more Previn here and BIG thanks, as usual, to Buster, for answering my request in grand style!!! I wish someone would release a remastered boxed set of all Previn's early RCA recordings.
I posted an LP-rip of ALL ALONE on my blog but this album has since received a digital release, remastered and sounding great. I can post a link here if you like.
Thanks Buster!
Thanks for another fine collection, Buster.
One nit to pick, on the single above. Doesn't the P 214 number on the left side of the label indicate it's from an album with that number? I'm off to see if I can find what album that may be... :)
https://www.discogs.com/Andre-Previn-Previn-At-The-Piano/release/5732346
This one, I think. Perhaps you've already shared out everything else in the set, or maybe it was a single before it's inclusion here, I dunno...
Ernie - Right you are! It's from the 78 album called "Andre Previn at the Piano." I shared the 10-inch LP version of that set way back when, but the LP left out two of the songs that were in the 78 set - the two on the single above - "Should I" and "I Didn't Know What Time It Was."
Oh, now that you point it out, I see that the 10" vinyl is shorter than the shellac set. Good catch! :)
Do you remember his interview shows, especially the one with Oscar Peterson?
Classic.
I was hot and cold with him as a conductor but he got the most beautiful sound of the PSO in RVW's London Symphony and he was fantastic in Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony.
As a composition it apparently didn't go over well with the Friday Night plutocrats but I was cheering from the balcony on Sunday afternoon.
You're a wonder, Buster. Thanks you for this and much more.
Charlot - I haven't seen any of the interview shows, although I understand he was excellent on camera.
Delightful. An antidote for heavy times. Thanks Buster!
You're welcome, Richard!
Many thanks indeed - I've so enjoyed your earlier volumes of Previn, and these have arrived at just the right time. Restorative! All good wishes to you, Peter
Thanks, Peter, hope they do the trick.
Somewhere in my past, I heard a recording of Andre Previn narrating Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra on one side. Then-wife Mia Farrow narrated Peter and the Wolf on the other..
Brian - I think you are right. I can picture the cover in my mind. I don't think I have it, though!
Greetings
Thanks for this collection from André Previn.
I'm new here and so...
Mireille
Welcome, Mireille!
Post a Comment