
With this LP, one of the most dynamic of all performers, Sammy Davis, Jr., turned reflective for the first time. For Mood to Be Wooed, a 1957 Decca release, the singer is backed only with a solo guitar, played by noted studio musician Mundell Lowe.
Davis returned to this concept in 1966 for a better-known Reprise album, albeit with a new song list. There, he was accompanied by Laurindo Almeida.
This post combines the Decca LP with six single sides from the same label that haven't had an official re-release for several decades.
![]() |
| Mundell Lowe |
I also suspect, without any evidence, that Davis' sparse accompaniment was inspired by Sinatra's chamber music LP, Close to You, recorded in 1956 with the Hollywood String Quartet and a few winds and brass.
Sam had an extroverted style, so even in Mood to Be Wooed he never seems as inward as Frank was in the latter's more subdued recordings during this period. In "What Is There to Say" (not really a ballad anyway), Davis can't resist belting out "what is there to DO-HEE-YOU-HOO-HOO" in the climax of the song. A similar use of melisma, a stylistic trademark of his, pops up several times in this collection.
But don't let me make too much of these matters. Mood to Be Wooed is a very good record, well sung and nicely accompanied by a talented guitarist. (FYI - two Mundell Lowe LPs appeared here in 2019, courtesy of David Federman.)
![]() |
| Davis at about the time the LP was recorded |
The bonus singles all date from 1955. I remastered the files from lossless originals found on Internet Archive. These are all fast-paced numbers with big-band backings, and provide quite a contrast to the Davis-Lowe LP.
The flip side of "It's Bigger" was a cover of an early Gilbert Becaud song with new English lyrics, called "Back Track!" The exclamation point is fully warranted as Davis is at his exuberant best.
Bob Russell's "Circus" is a standard pop number of the time, well backed by Oliver. Another ephemeral number is "Dangerous," which was co-written by guitarist Billy Mure. The bombastic arrangement is by Morty Stevens.
Davis returned to Sinatra territory with his cover of "Adelaide," which Frank sang in the then-current film version of Guys and Dolls. This piece is much better suited to the Voice in character as Nathan Detroit than to Mr. Entertainment.The final number is "All About Love," which Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon wrote for Eddie Fisher to perform in Bundle of Joy, the film Fisher made with then-wife Debbie Reynolds. It's a tricky melody, which Davis just about negotiates successfully. In truth, the performance and the Morty Stevens arrangement are better than the song.
The sound on the LP and singles is good; please forgive some slight background noise at the opening of the album. The download includes several short reviews and a vintage ad.
My friend John Morris asked for this transfer a while back; happy to provide it for him and anyone else interested.





30 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/KBdCzThA#eYw5ss0R9FczQqZHHpNWSejdu1C58g2Jea3Ugg3wHUg
Very nice Buster, thanks! I have a large box full of Rat Pack records, yet I don't think I've ever seen this one, so it's all new to me. Did you see the recent doc on Sammy from American Masters? Really good stuff.
Ernie - I did not! Thanks for letting me know.
Two others who used a similar approach to Sammy were Johnny Mathis on "Open Fire, Two Guitars" in 1958 with Al Caiola & Tony Mottola and Johnny Desmond on "Blue Smoke" in 1960 with Tony Mottola (both albums on Columbia.)
I have to admit that I underestimated Sammy Davis Jr.for many years.
His occasional bits on Ed Sullivan barely displayed his talents.
And he could make himself ridiculous.
I remember an interview on the old Monitor radio series in which it was clear that he had just learned the phrase "per se" and he kept it using it over and over and over and over again.
It became a family joke.
OTOH, he was a great singer, actor, dancer, you name it.
A friend of mine saw him in "Mr. Wonderful" and some kind of technical glitch stopped the show.
Sammy stepped forward and gave the audience a complete stage show for over an hour.
So one of the greats, no doubt about it.
Nigel - Yes, good records! I have a vague recollection of transferring Blue Smoke many years ago, but I apparently did not post it here.
Charlot - I saw him live a long time ago. He was a wonderful performer.
I wonder if the idea to pair Sammy with Mundell didn't come from having paired Julie London with Barney Kessel for "Julie Is Her Name" on Liberty in 1955, as well as Beverly Kenney with Johnny Smith the same year for Roost.
David - Yes, very good points! I have both those albums and should have remembered them.
Dean Martin made one of his best albums for Reprise, "Dream With Dean," with Barney Kessel. and Sammy's album with Laurindo is one of his best, too. And left us not forget Jeri Southern's album with Johnny Smith, also. Sarah Vaughan also did guilt-only albums for Roulette. In all of these instances, the results were memorable.
He didn't get much of a chance in the movies, for an obvious reason.
But he is spectacular in "Tap." Honestly, I think he wins the cutting contest and that was with Gregory Hines in the lead.
The "Porgy and Bess" film has been suppressed for many years but I vaguely remember a clip from it (on Ed Sullivan?) and he probably was better than any other as Sportin' Life. But I am just guessing.
The voice and the guitar go well together.
I don't think Sinatra ever did an album in this combination but he should have.
Charlot - I've seen that clip. He is perfect in the role. You're right, Sinatra did not do an album with solo guitar.
Thank you so much for sharing this one, Buster! Great stuff!
Sinatra made a 1981 single for Reprise with guitarist Tony Mottola called "It's Sunday." I have it. Beautiful record, although Sinatra's voice is a bit ragged.
David - Oh yes, I have heard that! I can't imagine how he kept singing all those years.
thanks very much, Buster. happy new year to you and everyone else here
Buster, If you still feel like playing Santa Claus, could you find and share Morgana King's 1964 all-Alec Wilder album, "Winter of My Discontent"? Some say it was her best. Speaking of obscure Wilder songs, do you have Peggy King's version of "You Didn't Give It a Try?" Thanks.
David - Sorry, but it looks like I don't have that Morgana King LP or the Peggy King song.
Perry Como used to sing duets with Tony Mottola on the request section of his TV show.
That Mottola got around.
Hi Buster,
Just wanted to send to a shout out to tell you "Thank You" very much for your work here and on you Buster's Swinging Singles ! I came here when I found out that you had some rips of Sammy Davis Jr. but got very excited with your taste in music and the rarity of what your chose to rip. I do wish that you would post 24 bit / flac files so that I could really appreciate your rips but I'll be content with what you give us. I'll be a regular visitor to both from now on ... Cheers !
Noises - Thanks for your note. I generally work in 24-bit, but I master and archive at 16. I just about think I can hear the difference, but I suspect I would fail a double-blind test. Anyway, for these files, the main issues are usually frequency distribution, noise and pitch. If you don't get those right, it won't matter what the bit rate is.
Always something right in there, unexpected, fun. Thanks, Buster, and a good new year for us all.
styles - Happy new year to you, too, and thanks for the note!
Wow, this is great!
I guess now that Mood is posted, this means that "Sammy Swings" (which never made it to cd), is now in the slot, waiting to come up.
Thanks again, Buster!
I am sure I have Sammy Swings - I'll see if I can locate it.
Hi Buster..it seems that I have posted one of your posts...which was sent to me by an oversea friend...I will give you the credit and mention your Blog on mine.. hope thats ok....cheers espo
Post a Comment