Once again I have the pleasure of presenting vocalist and bandleader Hal Derwin in a selection of his Capitol recordings from the late 40s. These rare sides are courtesy of vocal maven Bryan Cooper, who has gifted us with so many unusual items.
My previous Derwin collection included what I thought was all of Derwin's records, save for six. It turns out that there were (at least) eight missing - the eight contained in this collection direct from Bryan's stash. Most of the eight date from 1947, with the final two set down in 1949, after the recording strike was settled.
The first song in the set is Irving Berlin's "Kate (Have I Come Too Early, Too Late)," which may have been written for or in honor of Kate Smith - Berlin's publishing company put her photo on the sheet music. Several male vocalists recorded it - Bing Crosby, Alan Dale and Eddy Howard among them. Derwin's rendition is very accomplished.
The flip side is "Home Is Where the Heart Is," a standard sentiment that has inspired several songwriters over the years. This edition is by Charles Tobias and Dave Kapp, and is not the same song that later appeared on Elvis Presley's Kid Galahad soundtrack.
The next single leads off with "No One But You," a lovely minor-key ballad that, oddly enough, originated with the soundtrack for Bambi, where it was heard as "Looking for Romance." Derwin is great, but I have to say I don't care for the woozy muted trumpet obbligato. The backing is "One Dozen Roses," a formulaic but pleasant song that was a hit for Harry James in 1942."At the Flying 'W'" is a enjoyably bouncy tune from Allie Wrubel. Derwin's competition here was Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, back when Bing was in his Western phase. The other side of the 78 was "Sissy," written in 1938 by bandleader Louis Panico with Irving Kahal and Jack Fascinato. It is very much in the style popular then - a two-beat businessman's bounce.
![]() |
| Frank De Vol |
Derwin reached back in time for his repertoire on this last disc. "Just Like a Butterfly (That's Caught in the Rain)" was introduced in an unforgettable version by Annette Hanshaw in 1927. And "Goodnight, Sweetheart," dating from 1931, was one of the greatest inspirations of composer-bandleader Ray Noble and his remarkable vocalist Al Bowlly. Derwin handles each song beautifully.
The sound is excellent on these records. Thanks again to Bryan for bringing us these rare recordings by a most talented singer!




12 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/XJ8WFS6L#yv-pc-d752PwUtsxgNHqxKdh3EbykPu5_3eTYuUsDwE
Many thanks to you and Bryan for introducing me to this artist, Buster.
Our pleasure, Phillip!
Many thanks for the continued goodness, Buster! And Bryan, too!
Thanks, Ernie!
Thanks Buster and Bryan.Love those Capitol early 78's. I do have a want list of about 10 songs..fingers crossed between you kind people and the Archive I'll eventually get them. :)
monkeeboy - I love these old Capitols myself!
You are so wonderful! Thank you for sharing this!
very nice. thanks for this
Eddie and SD - You are very welcome!
Thank you Buster and Bryan for sharing these.
Now that you've saturated the ethers with Hal Derwin, consider Phil Brito, a 1940s singer who has been unjustly neglected. And I also advise immersion in Beryl Davis. Her recording of "Auld Lang Syne" is the equal of Dinah Shore's. In the mean time, thanks for giving such a generous taste of Derwin.
Post a Comment