18 December 2019

David F.'s Vintage Winter Wonderland

Our friend David Federman thinks that like fine wine the vintage Christmas music is the best Christmas music. I do agree, and I suspect that many of you do as well.

If that's the case, then you will want to avail yourself of his latest compilation - "Vintage Winter Wonderland Phonography 1914-1950" and its 36 heterogeneous selections. They range from Lucille Hegamin to the Savoy Orpheans and from Alfred Cortot to Jess Stacy. David is my kind of guy.

He writes, "My sole goal in making it was to take the listener as far back in recording history as possible to forget the present hell of holiday music. Toward that end, I’ve selected songs whose vintage gives them a viability absent from nearly all modern overly industrialized holiday music." His complete notes are included in the download.

Thanks, David, for this holiday gift.

10 comments:

Buster said...

Link:

https://mega.nz/#!aJ0U0QZQ!oQp07j1E_p1BKFzWeRTb0eP8blMnVBpQS789E1Myr1A

rev.b said...

Thanks David and Buster, looking forward...

Buster said...

Hi rev.b and thanks to you as well!

Charlot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BobSanders said...

Thank you both and have a great Christmas

Bob in Wales

flurb said...

This is marvelous. Thank you, and have a lovely season!

Buster said...

Thanks, all, and happy holidays to you!

David Federman said...

A SHOE STRING CHRISTMAS 2019: Christmas in America has become more of a bank holiday than a holy holiday. And if you, like me, live on a fixed income, the only gifts you give or get are sincere gestures of affection from family and friends. What I'm saying is that at 77, Christmas is a shoe-string holiday and the music I listen to is faithful to that fact and the non-material meanings it can unlock. To find music suitable for my fiscally austere times, I have to forage in the distant past when records spun at a speed that matches the age I will become on January 27th, Mozart's birthday, too. If that's the kind of music that you are looking for, look no farther. It's here in a special mix, "A Shoe String Christmas 2019."

I've taken mostly Depression Era records about being broke and/or poor, and then climbed out of the red with songs my parents and grandparents could well have sung at this time of year. The mix starts in the Dickens-like England of 1926 and does a transatlantic hop to America where pockets that are empty of money eventually give way to hearts full of love. One song discovered in the course of making this mix, "I'll Take Care of Your Cares," is here in duplicate because it deserves a better revival than Frankie Laine gave it in 1967. Della Reese, as you will here, treats this song the way it should be treated. I end with a song written and recorded by British bandleader, Henry Hall, in 1935. It's called "Many Happy Returns of the Day," and although meant for birthdays, it heartily lends itself to Christmas re-purposing. That's the key to the durability of this music--its utility for all occasions of sharing. Up for a week at WeTransfer. A New Year's mix is being hatched as I write.

https://we.tl/t-R95K61mp86

Let It Be Beatles said...

Thank you for both collection, especially the Shoe String Christmas, which is just fantastic!

Phillip said...

Many thanks to you both and best wishes for the new year