Our friend David F. has put together another fascinating and rewarding collection for holiday time, which he is calling "A Shoe String Christmas."
It contains 35 excellent selections from long ago. As David explains, "I've taken mostly Depression Era records about being broke and/or poor, and then climbed out of the red with songs my parents and grandparents could well have sung at this time of year."
The artists range from Dick Powell to John White and the Mound City Blue Blowers to Ramona Davies & Her Park Avenue Boys. I've just been enjoying David's last compilation, and believe me, his collections are worth hearing.
As he says, "To find music suitable for my fiscally austere times, I have to forage in the distant past when records spun at a speed that matches the age I will become on January 27th, Mozart's birthday, too. If that's the kind of music that you are looking for, look no farther."
Happy holidays to all, and thanks again to David.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago

8 comments:
Link:
https://mega.nz/#!HIsEAYqI!7xyyopzonDbqZ-9JVfJ5P0qPEyb_fCQfgoow3-Qlwb0
thanks and merry xmas
Happy krimble to you all.
merry christmas.
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all here. Buster, you are a true gem in the blogosphere!!
Fantastic compilation !
Thx and Happy Holidays to you all !!!
These comps are fantastic! Thanks.
A CARPE DIEM NEW YEAR'S EVE 2019/2020 If there ever was life on Mars, I have to suppose that the last of those who lived it must have felt the same end-times dread I did in 2019. So there really isn’t much to be cheerful or cheer on about for 2020, except a moral miracle. That isn’t likely in our overheated, overwhelmed world.
So what will later-life existentialists like myself do this New Years Eve? This will NOT be a night for meditation but, far more likely, premeditation. For me, this will be a night to get away from it all—as far away as time and money permit. But given my fiscal circumstances, I won't get far.
Nevertheless, the escapist premise behind this end-of-year mix is to spend the night pretending it’s my last night of shore leave and live for a ebullient moment that I know won’t last forever. That knowledge gives a seize-the-day quality to this night and I have gone musically Jurassic, selecting songs (all taken from 78s) from near and distant past times of emergency when rescue was a reasonable belief and widely-held goal—worth suffering to end. Back then, too, however, I think one used the last evening of the year to dance the night away. Tomorrow be damned. So here’s to “An Existential Carpe Diem New Year’s Eve 2019/20.”
Since my funds are limited, I, by force, am the dreamer seated at the end of the bar drinking from a Zen beggar’s bowl rather than a German beer mug. Same craft-brew IPA as you, however, just a way of acknowledging my spirits may be lower or more solemn than yours. My alias for the night is George Bailey and the name of the tavern is the Pottersville Bar and Grill. Its slogan: “We Know What Ales You.”
Tonight, friends, the drinks are on me. Save the last dance for the one you came with—no matter how attractive the person asking you to change partners. And try not to talk politics as you face the music and dance. If there is one thing to be shared on this last night of the year, it is the knowledge we’re all in this together. So dance cheek to cheek. That’s something they knew on Mars and now are beginning to know on Earth.
https://we.tl/t-kvba1dCEHt
Post a Comment