13 November 2019

Jean Morel Conducts Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky's ballet scores for The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty have appeared here a number of times, but I have neglected his Swan Lake music. To make amends, here is a set of excerpts from the early days of stereo.

The conductor is Jean Morel (1903-75), born in France and primarily associated with the operas from that country. This post is one of the few commercial records he made that were not accompaniments.

Jean Morel
Morel left Europe in 1936, and after stops in Latin America, came to the US in 1940. He became associated with the New York City Opera a few years later, staying there until 1951. A 22-year association with the Juilliard School began in 1949. He soon became an influential teacher. Morel has appeared on this blog before, conducting the Juilliard Orchestra in a Mozart concerto with pianist Rosina Lhévinne, his colleague at the school. Much of the conductor's reputation rests on his 1956-71 tenure with the Metropolitan Opera, where he primarily was associated with French works.

In this Tchaikovsky recording, he leads the Royal Opera House Orchestra, Covent Garden. As far as I can determine, Morel never was engaged by the Royal Ballet, and only conducted a single 1960 performance of Manon for Covent Garden Opera. Nor was he a specialist in ballet music, unlike most of the conductors who have appeared here in that repertoire.

That said, his reading of the Swan Lake music is very good. The opposite of an improvisatory conductor, Morel believed in having all aspects of the score worked out ahead of time. You can hear that this performance is well controlled, and his care over the score may seem a little too careful at times. But all in all, it's most enjoyable.

The recording was made for RCA Victor by UK Decca engineers working in Watford Town Hall in September 1957. As usual with Decca recordings, both the low and high frequencies are emphasized. While the results are vivid, the microphones perhaps were too close to the strings, which can sound wiry at times.

Cover of first US issue
RCA originally issued the LP in mono only in the US (above). The first US stereo edition, which is the source of my transfer, was in 1965 in the budget Victrola line (advertisement below). RCA's UK arm issued a mono version in late 1958 and stereo early the next year. The download includes a Gramophone review from October 1958.

Ad in May 1965 High Fidelity magazine (click to enlarge)

19 comments:

Rootie said...

Kudos for this. there were a cluster of mono ballet recordings issued by RCA in the middle 50s as well, from a couple of conductors which I think were cleanup from the old contract with EMI.(Sylvia and Coppelia) then a Sylvia/Coppelia LP with Rignold appeared on Victrola in stereo and I think a couple others, that had to come from Decca.

Rootie said...

I noticed that track 8 has a timing of 0. Is it included in either track 7 or 9????

Buster said...

Good question about track 8 - let me check. I may have to repost.

Robert Peach said...

Thanks for this. The first time I came across Morel was this recording in the Decca UK 1970's LP in 'The World of the Great Classics' incarnation, which I still have somewhere.

Buster said...

Something happened to track 8. It wasn't in either adjoining track. New links below. Many thanks for letting me know!

Buster said...

Note: the first download link included a truncated track 8. Here are new links.

Corrected file with track 8:

https://mega.nz/#!DBknVQBQ!WRj_nyBVqF-t6yecPEaFO4FOEvsLUEtJeqTp1oMG9hA

New track 8 for those who downloaded the first file:

https://mega.nz/#!7YkjBA7Y!ZquIY8cM9svMqPhUgijWBAIMSGAoO1Afbca_2_DpSSA

Buster said...

Thanks, Robert. The first file included a truncated track 8. New links below.

JAC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JAC said...

Thank you, Buster. Jean Morel's recordings for RCA included an LP with Giorgio Tozzi of Mozart and Verdi arias which I've heard well spoken of, but never heard. He never got to conduct either composer at the Met; his only venture outside French opera there was for 11 Butterflys.

This Tchaikovsky will be most welcome.

Buster said...

Rootie - I do have that Rignold LP; I think it is a Red Seak stereo pressing.

Buster said...

JAC - I don't have that Tozzi recording. I have Morel's other orchestral recordings, which I think have been reissued on Eloquence. I also have an LP where he accompanies Jennie Tourel in Offenbach and Bizet, which I may transfer at some point.

Rootie said...

He did some accompanying for Victor opera singers in the late 1940s. I believe that some Tagliavini tracks were attributed to his conducting. I never saw all those appear on LP as a group similar to the way Merrill and Warren's 78s were later reissued as solo LP collections. I will have to go back and look at others to see where else he conducted.

Rootie said...

he conducted the Met Offenbach Perichole excerpts, the Tozzi recital, excerpts from Hoffmann, some Berlioz songs for Steber on Columbia, Canteloube songs with Gladys Swarthout, George London arias on Columbia, French arias with Maggie Teyte for RCA, opera arias with Tagliavini. most of the vocal stuff is found more on 45s.

JAC said...

The Offenbach @Rootie just mentioned (Perichole and Hoffmann) were originally done for the Met Record Club series, eventually given wider release by RCA. The Berlioz songs were coupled with (and have happily been well transferred to CD with) her recording of Les Nuits d'été (unbelievably in 1954, the first recording of that cycle) which itself was conducted by Mitropoulos.

centuri said...

Thanks for this rare and dynamic recording dear Buster.
Am a big fan of Jean Morel...in addition to the recordings mentioned previously, I like a lot his Bizet/Arlésienne suites.
May I ask if you have his Ravel/Rhapsodie Espagnole (RCA with Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris)...would love to hear it...thanks in advance.

Rootie said...

Also, the stereo Albeniz - Iberia was released on SACD. I got that disc and the sound is quite fine.

Buster said...

centuri - On LP, I believe the Ravel is coupled with the Albeniz, which I do have. I'll transfer it for you.

Brent said...

I have a Music & Arts MET recording from 1959 with Morel conducting FAUST with Jussi Björling.

centuri said...

Thanks so much !