27 October 2018

Marian Anderson: the Complete 1947 Spirituals

I have previously offered two collections of spirituals by the eminent contralto Marian Anderson. One LP collates her 1952 recordings in that genre. The other, an EP, provides a selection from a 1947 session.

Portrait by
Everett Raymond Kinstler
I recently acquired a 10-inch LP that includes all the 1947 recordings. It forms the basis of today's post. (Full disclosure: I reused three of the EP transfers because the smaller disc was in better shape than side 1 of the LP.)

At the time of recording, Miss Anderson was 50 years old, and her voice had lost little of the power and lustre and none of the expressiveness that had made her famous. These recordings, made with her long-time accompanist Franz Rupp, are spellbinding.

I am sending this one out (as the the deejays used to say) to my friend DonR, who is a great fan of Marian Anderson.

5 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!OQNSEIga!wkuwzzw5Qmi6SL0zrBBltqZNZiVIGJm0Oh8dgpDnI-Q

centuri said...

So beautiful, simple, introverted !
Thanks Buster for this reference LP.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

What a magnificent voice! I love the straightforward treatment given to these, and I'm guessing the era of concert gospel is long gone--serious singers presenting the "old songs"--whether spirituals or "Mother's Prayers Have Followed Me"--without gimmicks, or at all. Voice and piano--pure art-song. I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't listened to much Marian, and I'm beyond impressed. Maybe the most amazing thing is the way she makes world-class vocalizing sound easy.

I love the way the accompanist breathes with her--such a precise alignment. That's the first thing an accompanist learns (hopefully)--to stay with the soloist. Watch, listen. You are second. Franz Rupp wrote the book. Many thanks for these!

DonR said...

Thanks Buster for posting this and ESPECIALLY for the "sending out" to me. I'm nuts about Marian Anderson's singing. It's trite to say but her singing personifies dignity to me. She's able to take the simplest of texts and infuse them with subtle implications and powerful feelings.
Fantastic,
Thanks again,
DonR

Buster said...

Hi everyone - thanks so much for the thoughtful comments. She was a once-a-generation (or more) artist.

Lee - Thanks for mentioning Franz Rupp. He made the most of some bare-bones accompaniments, while beautifully supporting the singer.