A new friend of the blog, 8H Haggis, has taken to expressing his appreciation for what I do here by adding links to his own transfers in the comments section of various posts that catch his eye. I know many of his uploads will be of interest to readers, so I thought I would gather them all in one place, with his permission. Otherwise you would have to go rooting around in 800-some posts looking for them!
The links below lead to my original posts. Look in the comment section for his contributions, complete with amusing descriptions.
One caveat: he has uploaded to Zippyshare, which means the posts won't last longer than 30 days, so act now, as they say on TV. Also a word about Zippyshare: when you first click on the Download Now button, Zippy will usually load a nuisance tab or window offering some questionable product. Just close that tab or window and try the download button again.
Here are the uploads, with thanks to 8H Haggis!
Alfred Wallenstein conducts Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 and Brahms Symphony No. 4 - LINK
Cor de Groot - Beethoven Piano Concertos 1-3, with Willem van Otterloo conducting - LINK
David Glazer and the Kohon Quartet in the Clarinet Quintets by Hummel and Weber - LINK
The obscure Swiss conductor Cedric Dumont directing an orchestration of some Brahms Liebeslieder Waltzes, Dvorak's Nocturne, Grieg's In Popular Style Op.63, Nr. 1 and Elgar's Serenade in E - LINK
The Stuyvesant Quartet performs Debussy and Ravel, from an obscure Philhamonia LP - LINK
The superb, historic 1945 recording of the Rite of Spring led by Pierre Monteux, with an attempt to ameliorate the heavy peak limiting on the original - LINK
Meyerbeer's Les Patineurs suite and Piston's Incredible Flutist suite, conducted by Arthur Fiedler - LINK
Serge Koussevitzky conducts Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, Sibelius' Second Symphony, Tchaikovsky's Serenade in C and Foote's Suite for Strings - LINK
The mono Cleveland Orchestra/George Szell recordings of Mozart's Symphonies 40 and 41 - LINK
Westminster hi-fi demo album, with Mossolov's notorious Iron Foundry, Argeo Quadri conducting - LINK
Miklos Rosza's RCA recording of several of his classical pieces - LINK
Andre Previn plays piano pieces for children - LINK
From broadcasts, Toscanini conducting Beethoven - Egmont Overture, orchestrated movements from the String Quartet No. 16 and the first Piano Concerto (with Ania Dorfmann) - LINK
Andre Kostelanetz conducts Villa Lobos, including a suite from the musical Magdalena - LINK
The 1947 RCA Victor recording of the Brahms Requiem led by Robert Shaw - LINK
Howard Hanson conducts music by Griffes and Loeffler, plus Latin American Music for Unusual Instrumental Combinations led by Izler Solomon - LINK
The Tchaikovsky 5th from Bruno Walter and the NBC Symphony - LINK
Mahler's Symphony No. 2 in the 1935 recording from Eugene Ormandy and the Minneapolis Symphony - LINK
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
3 months ago

10 comments:
Hi Buster,
Fascinating, as always.
Will look forward to listening to all these links.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Looks like I'm going to be occupied for a while! Thanks Buster.
Can't wait to hear orchestrated movements from Beethoven's 16th string quartet!
Seems to be already Christmas time : MANY thanks for all these beautiful presents !
Funny thing, Buster: I've only used an ANTIQUE version of Firefox (3.6x) to get Zippyshare stuff, and I had turned off some of the Javascript embedded on typical websites--and I never got the "funny stuff" that you have to wade past on a modern browser. I'd forgotten about this, so I'm glad you reminded everybody.
Maybe next month I'll try again if I can find comparably rare/interesting stuff.
8H Haggis
Hi Buster, the link for the Brahms requiem connects to your Mack Harrell Bach Cantatas post
Rootie - The links to all items are in the comments to the posts. Look there for the Brahms.
I was very impressed by the Wallenstein Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2 - The adagio is a wonderful display of dry passion (as opposed to the wet passion of so many others). It was a good representation of the source (mono), but it would be wonderful if someone could post a rip from a stereo source.
Brent - I wish I had such a record. I've only lately begun to listen to Wallenstein's recordings.
Found one on YouTube. Good stereo sound from the CD.
Post a Comment