It originates from the Church of the Covenant, a Presbyterian congregation in University Circle, just a block away from Severance Hall. The Covenant, as it is called, has a long-standing and robust music program, well displayed in this album, which I believe dates from the mid to late 1960s.
Side 1 of Music at the Covenant, presents Christmas music, with side 2 focusing primarily on Easter.
![]() |
| Henry Fusner |
As you might expect, the choir handles Romantic and 20th century works more smoothly than Palestrina and Gibbons. But the standard of execution is impressive, and this program is sure to please. The sound is high quality mono, engineered by Vlad Maleckar, who was responsible for Cleveland Orchestra broadcasts for many years.
The recording was presumably made in the church, an imposing Ralph Adams Cram design dating from 1911.
![]() |
| Church of the Covenant |




24 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o4qwi8q5zf7hqmg/Music%20at%20the%20Covenant.zip
The soprano was my elementary or middle school art teacher.
perdido - It's a small world. I knew the tenor well.
Thanks for this high quality LP.
Merry Christmas Buster !!
University Circle, isn't that where the museum and the Oil Can Church are at? Or am I confused? It's been a while since I was up that way...
Yes, University Circle is where Severance Hall, the "oil can church" (has an oxidized copper steeple that looks like an oil can), Cleveland Museum of Art, Case Western Reserve University, Western Reserve Historical Society, Crawford Auto/Aviation Museum, Natural History Museum, Cleveland Institute of Music, Cleveland Institute of Art, and the third-largest VA hospital in the country are located.
That Circle must be bigger than I remember! I remember walking around the water in the middle to get a good far-away shot of The Thinker in front of the museum. And the Gehry building that looked like it was a few bricks shy of being square...
Ernie - You were actually at one end of the Circle, which also includes (in addition to perdido's recounting above) the extensive University Hospitals complex. The Gehry carbuncle is just north of the Church of the Covenant, and can be seen in the background of some of its photos.
Merry Christmas, centuri, and thanks for all the supportive comments!
That is taken on the north side of Euclid Avenue, east of the Museum. Perdido and Buster precisely named the area's famous edifices. If you go to the south, you are in Little Italy, rich in restaurants and aromas and sounds of the old country!
tony - So many of us here from NE Ohio!
Oh, I guess I thought the circle just went around that small lake. And I do remember going to a grocery store in Little Italy for some special cheese or something. :)
I went to elementary school with Vicky Paradiso, and I taught at the same school system with Marilyn and Cinderella Paradiso! A small world.
Thank you, Buster, for the many great shares. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Merry Christmas, Richard, and to all readers!
gee... you name your blog after the bullmoose, and then you post all this white bread stuff. doesn't make sense.
my kind of guy.
merry christmas, buster.
Merry Christmas to you as well, barba!
Hi Marty - Happy holidays!
Hello dear Music Lover,
Thank you for all the efforts that you have taken to share your love music with us during 2017 - it is particulary appreciated.
It takes a lot of effort to organise a blog and I am very much aware that for all your energies very few people express their thanks for what you do. Most unrewarding.
Do hope that you are enjoying the end of 2017 festivities and that we can look forward to more correspondence from you in 2018.
All the very best and good health in 2018.
Thank you and cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Thanks, Douglas! Readers like you keep me going. Although I enjoy all facets of blogging and sharing, it would be pointless without a receptive audience.
Best wishes to you as well for a wonderful new year.
Buster, As a thank you for all your many great deeds of cultural public service, I offer you and the regulars here a 7-day opportunity to download my annual New Years mix, this year's called "I'm In a Dancing Mood." If anyone is interested, go here:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/280cad239199e7e4e4b15f7cdf86818820171229140350/c72a9206c5b791b8d9674cb55cea2b4320171229140418/69fac5
Thanks, David - looks great!
Post a Comment