Among those recordings was this 1981 live performance of Nielsen's Symphony No. 3 ("Sinfonia Espansiva") with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, transferred here from a Unicorn-Kanchana LP.
![]() |
| Yuri Ahronovitch |
Both the audience and the orchestra were impressed. Unicorn includes four minutes of applause at the conclusion of the performance (which I have put into a separate track), and the orchestra serenades Ahronovitch with a "tusch", a type of musical salute heard occasionally at European concerts. This is the only commercial recording in my collection with such a fanfare, and I have to say it startled me the first time I heard it many years ago.
Ahronovitch, a pupil of Natan Rakhlin, became conductor of the USSR Ministry of Culture Orchestra when he was only 32, holding that post until emigrating to Israel in 1972. Later he was chief conductor of the Cologne Gürzenich Orchestra and the Stockholm Philharmonic.
This is a later recording than I usually post, but I transferred it for another site, and decided to make it available to followers of this blog as well. I will also be transferring Ahronovitch's recording of Taneyev's Fourth Symphony, with the London Symphony.



12 comments:
Thanks Buster and a very Happy New Year to you!
wow, this looks very nice. thank you. -a.v.
Thanks so much for this rarity !
I totally agree with you: Ahronovitch was a great musician who unfortunately recorded too little.
Much looking forward to listening to Taneev #4...
In the meantime thanks so much for your captivating blog....and....
Happy New Year 2018 dear Buster !!
This doesn't sound very Christmassy, but thanks for sharing anyway! ;)
Thanks, everyone, and happy new year!
Ernie - I am on to January.
Gracias... y feliz nuevo año.
Everyone - sorry but I have had to remove the link to this file for the time being. There was a driver problem on my laptop that caused the file to be recorded in mono rather than stereo. I am retransferring the LP and will post it in the next day or so.
Query: The last track reads "Applause and tusch." Is tusch a Danish word or did the conductor show the audience his ass?
Lockhart - Not sure if I can speak about Ahronovitch's posterior exposure on this occasion, but here is the definition of "tusch":
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tusch
Buster, thank you SO much for this outstanding recording of the Nielsen symphony!
Here is a long-forgotten Heliodor LP that was a compilation of tracks from at least two much older '50's MGM records, of Nielsen and Sibelius pieces, conducted by John Hollingsworth and Arthur Winograd:
Jean Sibelius Rakastava, Op. 14
Jean Sibelius Canzonetta, Op. 62a Jean Sibelius Romance In C For String Carl Nielsen Little Suite For String Orchestra, Op. 1
Carl Nielsen Dance Of The Cockerels (From "Maskarade")
The text file insert has complete info, and an explanation of the agony I had to experience to put it together from the utterly ruined upload I found on a now-defunct blog. In my hubristic way, I would propose that you'd now NEVER KNOW the flaws of the original presentation.
https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/E4izAWI8/file.html
(180 MB zipped FLACs, with cover pic and documentation)
LIMITED time upload that will be deleted by around 24 August 2018, per Zippyshare's rules.
8H Haggis
I have a Hollingsworth MGM around here somewhere, but I don't think it is this one.
Post a Comment