29 January 2016

Ruth Olay with Jerry Fielding

Last summer I posted an Jerry Fielding LP from 1953, with a bonus single featuring the young vocalist Ruth Olay. At that time I had a request for more Olay, so here she is, appropriately accompanied by Fielding in this 1958 date for Mercury.

By that time, Olay had become more established in the West Coast clubs, and had even become a familiar face on television. The cover above pitches her as the "singing discovery of the Jack Paar Show" - Paar at that time was the host of the late night Tonight Show on U.S. television, with Olay as a frequent guest.

Ruth Olay
The term "discovery" may suggest that the singer was a newcomer to the studio, which was not the case. I believe this was her fourth LP recording, with previous entries for the Zenith label, Mercury and Mercury's EmArcy mark (although the latter may have been released later than Easy Living).

Her singing on the Trend single was assured, if seemingly under the spell of Mildred Bailey. On this session she retains her characteristic rapid vibrato, but has adopted a more individual manner, with overtones of Lena Horne and Kay Starr. In a revealing interview with Bill Reed, Olay herself insists her greatest influences were blues singers. In any case, she was a highly accomplished artist whose current neglect is curious - especially considering she is still with us.

Easy Living embodies the peculiarities of early stereo, made during the period when engineers were still experimenting with the new format. On most tracks, Ruth comes at us from the left speaker, with the Mercury folks occasionally moving her to the right channel mid-song, seemingly just for the heck of it. On "Undecided" (of course), she keeps switching back and forth. These artificial shenanigans were common when stereo was young, the better for buyers to show off their new two-channel set-ups. (I distinctly remember the first time I heard a stereo record. It was at the house of friends of my parents, and seemed like quite a big deal to nine-year-old Buster.)

As a bonus, I have added a non-LP single that Olay made with Fielding early in 1958. Apparently the only title issued from that January date, it is a lively version of the Mercer-Donaldson song "On Behalf of the Visiting Firemen." (The other side of the single was "I Wanna Be a Friend of Yours" from the Easy Living album.)

By the way, the mention of Jack Paar on the LP cover inspired me to dig out one of the comic's few singles - a surprisingly good one (no thanks to Paar). The curious can find it on my singles blog.


24 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):


https://mega.nz/#!WItTnJIQ!Y-P-1p2c6NUbqS--_ut-AMbap4f2C0x56HVLGYGKA3c

https://www.mediafire.com/?vo8ayryytyz79ot

Phillip said...

Another amazing discovery. Thanks so much Buster.

DonHo57 said...

I agree, a great find. I love old stereo efforts. My first experience was the same as yours, Buster. My parents belonged to a dance club, where they joined a group of 20-somethings in the late 50s and early 60s every Friday night to learn all the new moves and perfect he standards. My Mom and Dad were cha-cha wizards. The couple who hosted had a big deal stereo, and I was floored he first time I heard it in action.

Thanks, Buster!!!

Buster said...

Hi guys - I wish I could remember the first stereo record I heard. I was more impressed by the equipment, which was one of those two pieces rigs like the ones you see on the back of old LP covers.

flyingfinger said...

Super! No one does a better job on their covers too - thanks Buster.

Buster said...

My pleasure, FF!

Ernie said...

Buster, how do you decide what LP you're going to pull down next and record? I have so many around that I want to listen to, I can never decide on something. I just sort of become paralyzed while trying to decide on one record over another.

Buster said...

Ernie - For purposes of the blog, I try to choose things that are worthy and unusual. I vary selections between pop and classical. Sometimes I just post things that I feel like transferring for whatever reason - but of course I sometimes end up unable to choose. Since I have many series going on at the same time (obscure women pianists, shows and soundtracks, singers, etc.) I generally have an idea of what I want to do next in each series.

Buster said...

I also do a lot of requests, such as this record.

Scoredaddy said...

great choice, Buster! thanks for this

kiken said...

Thank you for sharing!

Kevin said...

I have some other records by Olay, but I'd never come across this one. And that's often the case when I visit your great blog. Thanks Again!

Alberto Cos said...

All new to me, Busterr. Thanks a lot!

zoltanzylox said...

Thanks Buster. Keep up the great work!

zoltanzylox said...

Thanks Buster. Keep up the great work!

alfred venison said...

if it were not for your site & a few others like it, this whole era would remain a closed book for me, much to my detriment, so than you very much, again. -cheers, a.v.

Buster said...

Thanks, folks, for your kind comments!

Bill said...

Remarkable singer! Your blog, and some other, really opened new vista's to me.

Buster said...

Bill - So glad to hear that!

Muff Diver said...


Your blog teaches me of the recent past before I was born and before I became cognizant of the cultural beauty all around me.
Thanks for all you do, Buster!

Buster said...

MD - Thanks for all your notes!

StealthMan said...

I enjoyed his arrangements so much, I'm keeping this in spite of being so-so about the singer.

Thanks for doing this, Buster.

jacques shellac said...

Glad to have found your blog...my man cave is called Buster's Den.. named after a rough and ready squirrel that use to come by for peanuts..sorry i digress.
Enjoy both your sites..find that our quests for discovering the obscure are similar..when you have time check out Anita Ellis..the singing voice of many hollywood actresses including Rita Hayworth in Gilda.. thanks a lot.

Tom said...

Marvelous record by one of my favorite "lesser known" dames of the era.