![]() |
| Josef and Rosina Lhévinne |
Josef and Rosina's recording of Debussy's "Fêtes," in Ravel's two-piano version, comes from June 1935, and is one of two works they performed for commercial issue. (I do not possess the other, a Mozart sonata.) The rendition is spirited, emphasizing the festive rather than the nocturnal. My transfer comes from an early RCA Camden LP with excellent sound.
The main work is Rosina's second late-in-life concerto recording. Following the Mozart recording that marked her 80th birthday, she was invited into the Vanguard studios to tape Chopin's Concerto No. 1. Accompanying her was the clumsily named Members of the Alumni of the National Orchestral Association, under John Barnett. A word of explanation: the National Orchestral Association provided a training platform for orchestral players who were newly graduated from conservatory. The "Members of the Alumni" included musicians who had gone on to New York orchestras such as the Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera. John Barnett was the director of the National Orchestral Association at the time, in succession to Léon Barzin, who had founded the organization in 1930.
The Members of the Alumni are very good, but in Chopin concertos almost all of the interest is in the solo part, and Lhévinne does not disappoint. Her playing displays the same grace and control that made the Mozart concerto such a success. It's a shame she was not asked to record more often.
Vanguard's sonics were dull, but I have done my best to bring out the elegant sound of Rosina Lhévinne's piano, with some success, I hope. The LP also included a performance of Schumann's Overture, Scherzo and Finale, which I have not transferred.



14 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!mMUkXQKT!HMDe-FssbU9E_rA_71rPs8OdBVIINOMfc9MAP9sjuXA
https://www.mediafire.com/?u4gevb3egvj03u2
Thanks very much, Buster, for all your posts throughout the year.
And thank you for your kind comments, Kevin.
Thank you for this and for introducing me to so many artists I would never otherwise encounter. My life is so much richer for you and your blog. I sincerely thank you!
John - My pleasure!
Excellent recordings. Thanks also for the links to the previous Mozart posts. I like a lot in particular PC #21 under Jean Morel. I permanently enjoy to follow your blog, covering so convincingly many fields of music ! Happy New Year BONNE ANNEE 2016 dear Buster ! Jean
Jean - Many thanks for your comments and the best to you for the coming year!
Buster--thanks, as always!
-Jeff
I love Debussy! Thank you, Buster!!
FYI, the Mozart sonata (as well as Rosina's two concerti, the Debussy and a magnificent set by Josef of Chopin and miscellany) are on the Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century volume devoted to both Lhevinnes. In the notes, Van Cliburn is quoted as calling the Debussy "one of the most memorable discs in history. It is so stunning, and Madame Lhevinne [his teacher[] told me it was not planned. She and her husband were recording the Mozart two-piano sonata, which they finished quickly. As there was some time left over, they decided to play through Fetes, and that run-through, that single take was it. They just sat down and did it. Imagine!" Indeed ...
Thanks, Peter - I did not know that, given that I have no contact with CDs unless necessary! I hope my transfers compare well with the Philips.
While I suppose I shouldn't admit my complicity in the downfall of the record industry, you and others have sufficiently spoiled me with wonderful transfers, to the extent that I rarely buy historical CDs anymore. But back in the day ...
I cannot say thank you enough. This blog is amazing and I have discovered so many great recordings thanks to you. I especially love this Chopin. I searched the Lehvinnes and what a remarkable life! Thanks again. Bill
Thanks, Bill - glad you like it!
Post a Comment