The recordings of violinist Louis Kaufman continue to draw the interest of this blog's readers, so here is another from the files.
 |
| Darius Milhaud |
As with previous Kaufman records, this presents the music of a contemporary composer, in this instance Darius Milhaud.
The French Milhaud had moved to California and Mills College and became familiar there with Kaufman, who was a very busy Hollywood studio musician. In 1949, the Los Angeles record label Capitol brought them together for this collection of Milhaud compositions.
 |
| Louis Kaufman |
The longest item here is Milhaud's Violin Concerto No. 2, in its first recording, but the finest work is his Concertino de Printemps, in a dazzling rendition that makes the most of Kaufman's extraordinary intensity. The concerto is well done as well, with an affecting slow movement. Kaufman misses the specific dance character of the final Danses de Jacarémirim, but his virtuosity is worth hearing on its own account.
The sound in this enjoyable program is excellent. In my collecting experience, most Capitol classics of this vintage are reprints of Telefunken originals, including many Mengelberg LPs, but I believe this offering originated with the West Coast label.
11 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!CAdSEC5A!KQsXfc7zJaEjRkEe3LKlhZfmxpYGve3bQrEr5IrsqRk
http://www.mediafire.com/download/44yrhug3dsr41u3/Kaufman_Performs_Music_of_Milhaud.zip
Wonderful! I love Milhaud music. Thanks!
Wonderful! I love Milhaud music. Thanks!
thank you. i always have time for milhaud. cheers, alfred venison
Thanks Buster for this rare version: definitely 2 major works in Milhaud's huge catalogue. I love Louis Kaufman who supported a lot French pieces as well as music of his time. The sound is excellent too !
Buster - great download, listening to the Concertino as I type. This is an outstanding transfer, beautifully done, sir!
Thanks, all, for the comments!
Hi Bill - glad you like it!
Many thanks, Buster.
Hi Buster, thanks so much for all your uploads. I'm pretty much a classical music rookie listener just starting to get into the music, and your blog has been an awesome place for me to learn about classical music. Thanks again for the uploads!
Hi Mike, so glad you are enjoying the music. I will say the selection here is a little quirky, so I hope it does not put you off exploring the diversity of styles to be found in the classical realm!
Thank you, Buster!
Post a Comment