22 February 2015

Early Elliott Carter

Elliott Carter is famously not a composer that many people find comfortable to hear, although he is widely considered one of the greatest American voices of the 20th century - and even into the 21st.

Young Elliott Carter
Notably long-lived, Carter survived until his 104th year, and died only a few years ago - composing to the end. But it's interesting and perhaps instructive to go back to his earlier years and listen to what he devised in his 20s and 30s.

In his late 20s, Carter became the music director for Lincoln Kirstein's Ballet Caravan. The impresario commissioned the young composer to produce a score for a ballet on the Pocahontas tale, which would have choreography by Lew Christensen. Charles Rosen's notes for this present recording state that much of the music comes from 1937, although an orchestrated version did not arrive until 1939. In may be true that some of the music is even earlier - the George Platt Lynes production photo below is dated 1936, when Carter was 28.

Pocahontas production photo
Rosen notes that the music, presented here in its 1941 suite form, is derivative, mentioning Hindemith. I might add the contemporary Russians, and the Americana movement as well - at the time Kirstein was commissioning ballet music from Aaron Copland and Virgil Thomson along with Carter. (Thomson's Filling Station, also choreographed by Christensen, appeared here several years ago.) But the score also has a assured quality and powerful sweep that carries through to Carter's later, more idiosyncratic scores. The performance here by Zurich forces led by modern music specialist Jacques-Louis Monod is very fine.

Rosen considers the Piano Sonata to be a revolutionary work, a "new departure in piano writing with few analogies in the literature of the past." His penetrating analysis in the liner notes is helpful in understanding what Carter is doing, and his performance is sympathetic. This may have been one of Rosen's first published writings on music; he went on to be known as much for his scholarship as his pianism. (Rosen's thoughts on Carter and his music can be found here.) To what Rosen has to say in his notes, I might merely note that Carter also shows the influence of the Americana movement in the sonata's second movement.

The sound on this Epic recording, from about 1962, is quite good. I own other recordings of early Carter works anyone is interested.

Charles Rosen and Elliott Carter in 2007

15 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?t7w7yvbgjg81sdy

https://mega.co.nz/#!2RVTETZA!frDaaYKkcFhr8G6iDWtk3cW_MkY9P-L8_5hi8CVUgG4

jserraglio said...

Can't thank you enough! Have never seen this record. And I would definitely be interested in more early Carter.

Buster said...

Hi Joe - I only recently picked up this stereo copy, although I have had a mono edition for some time. I think for the next offering, I would like to present the Beveridge Webster version of the sonata, along with IIRC a violin sonata.

Ананасий Непитин said...

wonderful, really wonderful.
love Carter.
but...
have you ever heard Schuman's Concerto either recorded, or broadcast or even bootlegged?
of course, i mean William Schuman, Concerto on Old English Round recorded on Columbia LP only with McInnes playing the viola and Bernstein conducting (Columbia M-35101)?
it's not Carter, but my good fellow, violist from Kiev Lysenko Quartet raise his praises to heaven...

Buster said...

Hi - I am fairly sure I have the Schuman LP you mention. It seems to me I have seen it around the web, but I can't recall where.

Ананасий Непитин said...

wow! it could really be great! one of the finest US violists ended his performing solo career right after making this recording. McInnes considered this as the summit of his recorded oeuvre (or one from the few).
ready to wait for a year or two, but this damned Nazi regime and the civil war outbreak here in Ukraine...
there is a real possibility not to survive.

thanks in advance.

Buster said...

OK, I'll check to see if I can find it. It seems to me McInnes also made a version of Harold in Italy around the same time (mid-70s), also with Bernstein.

Buster said...

I haven't been able to locate it in my collection, but I am sure I can get another copy in a week or two. Watch this space.

Ананасий Непитин said...

love Rosen since i've first heard his Webern and Goldberg Variations.
and, of course, know him well as a devoted 'Carterist', although in the later recordings.
thanks a lot for both THIS Sonata and Pocahontas!

DonHo57 said...

It's been 35 years since I listened to anything by Carter, so I will give this a listen and comment later...but I am thankful to you, Buster, for providing another little-heard recording for us!

Man from Mordor said...

This is an enjoyable post. I remember listening to a performance of Carter's "Concerto for Orchestra" at the Royal Festival Hall in London back in the early 70s, conducted by Andre Previn (or was it Barenboim?) and I was blown away. His is not aneasy listen, but who wants Easy Listening when there's really meaty stuff like this to be heard? Thanks, and keep on rocking!

JAC said...

Is this the same recording of the Carter Sonata that's in the box of Rosen's Columbia/Epic recordings that Sony recently issued? http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1610766

Buster said...

JAC - Not sure. I believe Rosen recorded it twice.

centuri said...

Thank you so much for this rare recording. Another side of this great contemporary composer, always captivating !

serviceton said...

Marvellous ! Thanks very much for posting this. Like jserraglio above, I have not previously heard this LP and would welcome any other early Carter. Thankyou!