30 December 2014

Isabel Bigley and Stephen Douglass

Isabel Bigley and Stephen Douglass starred in some of the biggest Broadway hits of the 1950s, without ever becoming household names. This budget-label release allows you to hear them in some of the best-known Rodgers and Hammerstein tunes, individually and in duet.

Isabel Bigley
Bigley originated the role of Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls and then Jeanie in R&H's Me and Juliet.  She retired from the stage shortly after this record was made in the late 50s.

Douglass had been a lead in The Golden Apple, a replacement Sid Sorokin in The Pajama Game and then became Joe Hardy in Damn Yankees, his biggest role.

One reason why Bigley and Douglass aren't better remembered is that their best roles either never made it to Hollywood, or were recast there - Jean Simmons took over the part of Sarah Brown and Tab Hunter (!) became Joe Hardy.

Stephen Douglass
Among Bigley's numbers is "No Other Love," which she introduced in Me and Juliet, a most enjoyable score even though the show's success was limited by a weak book.

Douglass is good in declamatory songs such as "Some Enchanted Evening," but stiff in "It's a Grand Night for Singing," where elan is required.

This record is a workmanlike product for a budget label, but it sounds under-rehearsed, the arrangements can be thin, and the two singers have little chemistry.

The LP is dated 1957 on the back cover, but I believe it actually came out in 1958 or 1959. The mono sound is reasonably good.

LINK to 2026 remastered version


15 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?fzjym8teajwivkr

https://mega.co.nz/#!DIMhXLyS!ohHklc9_LzFl7YO6C3NCBDNf6Gx_jC4tUxoABWLn_6o

John said...

Thanks Buster and Happy New year. I am excited to give this one "a spin" as we used to say.But then again, Iam excited to listen to all your selections.

centuri said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Buster !! BONNE ANNEE 2015 !!!!

Buster said...

Happy new year, folks! Thanks for all the support.

kiken said...

Thank you for sharing and I look forward to listening to it in 2015.

Scoredaddy said...

thanks, Buster. I am DL'ing this for the songs... I don't yet know the performers

Rootie said...

just found this listing on EBAY for a stereo edition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/sing-rodgers-and-hammerstein-LP-ISABEL-BIGLEY-STEPHEN-DOUGLASS-Good-/231382379049?pt=Music_Other_Formats&hash=item35df76ea29

Buster said...

Rootie - Thanks! I would buy it myself, if it were a better record!

howard kitt said...

Hello

Is it Possible to reupload this--the current sites don't seem to work.

Many thanks.

Howard Kitt

Buster said...

Howard - Both links are still valid. Make sure you are copying the whole link (and nothing else).

Anonymous said...

I've tried both urls, but keep getting error messages.
Am I doing Something wrong?

Buster said...

Howard - Not sure. Those links do work. I am away at the moment and can’t provide an alternative, I’m afraid.

Anonymous said...

No rush--I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Buster said...

Howard - I added a hyperlink at the bottom of the post itself. See if that works for you.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks--works now