Not long ago, a reader asked me to reup a Nelson Riddle promotional record made for the Schlitz Brewing Company in the late 1950s. That contained the Schlitz ad, "The Real Joy of Good Living," as sung by Jamie Silvia of the group the J's with Jamie. (You can read more about the record on the original post.)
After working on that reup, I decided to pull out my collection of J's with Jamie records. The group was along the most successful specialists in commercial work of the day, for good reason - they were superb. Comprising Jamie and Joe Silvia, Don Shelton (or Marshall Gill) and Len Dresslar, the group recorded hundreds of ads, and several LPs.
This present album presents their "two sides" - one side of the commercials of the day (early 1960s), most of which I remember, and one of their recordings for Columbia.
If I prefer the ads, it may be for nostalgic reasons, but there is no denying that their craftsmanship was remarkable. Listen, for example, to their dead-on hootenanny routine during the Alka-Seltzer spot. You will hear ads for vanished products (Plymouth, Valiant and Corvair cars, Northwest Orient Airlines), items that are no longer advertised in this way (three different cigarette brands), and a number of brands that are still around 50 years later.
The ads are knit together by a clunky Dragnet-style narration. I believe the anonymous narrator may be Ken Nordine. The LP was probably made for distribution to both advertising agencies and clubs.
The Columbia selections are drawn from the group's two albums and handful of singles. The best cut is probably the single "Everybody Says Don't," from the contemporaneous Stephen Sondheim musical flop Anyone Can Whistle. The ensemble also recorded two LPs for ABC records under the name Jamie and the J. Silvia Singers.
The J's with Jamie went out of business in 1968. Thereafter, the Silvias concentrated on production work. Shelton (who had been in the Hi-Lo's) went on to form the Singers Unlimited with Dresslar, fellow Hi-Lo's alum Gene Puerling, and Bonnie Herman, another vocalist who specialized in commercial work.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago



19 comments:
Oh boy, Buster, you can't imagine the memories this stirs up for me.
Growing up in Chicago in the 1950s and 60s, with a father who directed TV commercials there... I would hear about The J's with Jamie all the time. Dad must have worked with them a number of times, they also had a bit of a name in the Chicago area, and he continued to stay in touch with Len Dresslar. When I started bringing home Singers Unlimited LPs from college in the... 1970s I guess?, Dad was fascinated to see the familiar names involved, and asked Len about the group the next time he saw him.
But I hadn't realized that The J's with Jamie had any fame beyond a local one. Thanks again.
I love this stuff! Thanks Buster. (Don't forget the great promo-only Christmas stuff that the J's released also. Next to impossible to find, but so, so good.)
Thank you Buster--you always brighten the day !!!
JAC - Chicago was one of the centers of the ad industry then, I believe - thanks for the interesting reminiscences!
Ernie - I have mps3 of the Christmas songs (quite possibly got them from you!). Wish I had the discs themselves.
Joe/Tom - Thanks!
This got me on a Jamie binge Buster! I found the riches at wfmu - thank you sir!
Thank You for the rare share.
This is great! Somewhere I have that J's and Jamie with Nelson Riddle from a download (maybe here?), and the Christmas one. Now this! Thanks much.
Jack
RadioWizard - Check out the new remaster of the Nelson Riddle material above - much improved sound.
What a great way to start the day! I found one of Jamie/J's LPs at a thrift store a couple years ago - felt as if I'd found a treasure! Thanks buster - this is great stuff.
Yes, marvellous stuff, I was momentarily confused as to the identity of the girl singer before twigging that she is the eponymous Jamie
Buster - I'm wondering if you might have 1964 - The Remarkable J's With Jamie, I got the mono version, but am hoping for a stereo copy :) Thanks in any case!
FF - Just for you! (I transferred it a little while ago, but haven't done the scans yet.)
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/98344383/file.html
Am I a lucky guy or what? Positively stoked Buster!
Thank you very much!
Buster, if you're looking for stuff to remaster or revisit, may I humbly suggest The J's With Jamie? They have this large catalog that's still not available yet. :) Your humble servant-E
New links:
J's with Jamie
https://mega.nz/#!ONkGxBZI!fsTtCQ_uAv5-7FJypB6Kzi9gqyUrxSlgEGPzk8A4svU
Joy of Living
https://mega.nz/#!rQkEFJAQ!OsrIYE6At3jY6qozFreOvEr4gSouaufrhtRVcEbxl0Y
Oh, I still have all the old stuff, I was hoping for something new and exotic! Thought you might have some of their singles or more promo stuff. I know I've got one or both of their ABC albums, but can't lay my hands on them at the moment.
Ernie - I do have more of their work, including the ABC LPs. In fact, I think I transferred another LP and never posted it! I'll try to post it soon.
missed this the first time around! thanks
Post a Comment