![]() |
| 1952 concert poster |
As with the Christmas album, Fox is at the organ of Riverside Church in New York, where he was music director. However, the organ here had not yet been replaced by the Aeolian-Skinner Fox played for his holiday program. Here the instrument is the original 1930 organ installed by Hook & Hastings of Boston, although by that time it had already acquired the Aeolian-Skinner console seen on the cover.
The Hook & Hastings was never considered a great organ, but it does make a splendid sound. The album must have been popular; Columbia later reissued it with a different cover featuring the large pink blob shown at right.
Like the unsophisticated folks who enjoyed these chestnuts in the 50s, I delight in Fox's musicianship and will be offering some of his other LPs as time goes by.




9 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!rUFAFBQb!LcEPJWDSDto1rUzXaOjoO3eBFCJ0XnjEOSCuPE8rlXI
http://rapidshare.com/share/888275296417C023199AF357FB5F66CB
http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/21083388/file.html
A slight correction: Virgil was never music director at Riverside. He was the organist, and an unquestionably flamboyant one at that! I was once a staff organist there, and what fun stories were told about him!
Thanks, groorvylounge for the correction. I would love to hear the stories!
Well here's a story of mine. My office was the same one Virgil had when he was there. He used to sleep in that room overnight sometimes because he would occasionally practice until so late at night, he didn't want to make his way back to NJ where he lived.
groovylounge - Thanks! So happens that I am transferring his Treasury of Hymns LP as we converse.
Buster, thanks much for the VF record. I have many of his records, including from the 70s when he toured with "Heavy Organ." Even saw him in concert back around 1973. Mind-blowing concert. Hadn't seen that kind of music played in his inimitable style, and with a light-show as well.
RadioWizard - I remember the Heavy Organ days, although I did not catch him myself. I never have been much for electric organs (or pianos, for that matter), although I enjoy pipe organs. It so happens that the Fox LP I am transferring is mainly on electric organ.
I am enjoying this as so many others from this blog. Thank you.
Wonderful, Buster. Many thanks for the share and your commentary.
Post a Comment