24 February 2014

Martinon Conducts Prokofiev

The lurid, Daliesque cover promotes "The Love for Three Oranges," but to me the real attraction here is the other Prokofiev work on the program - his Classical Symphony.

This is an exceptional performance of a composition I love. Jean Martinon conducts the Lamoureux Orchestra, which he then led, in this June 1953 recording.

Jean Martinon
I had not heard any of Martinon's early records before acquiring this disc, although I have several of his much later Chicago Symphony albums. I was very impressed by the highly detailed, beautifully balanced performances on this 10-inch LP.

There is a small offensive image on the cover - my apologies. (Addendum - See a note below from billinrio for an explanation of the image's meaning.)

This recording has now been remastered in ambient stereo.

11 comments:

JAC said...

I've not heard Martinon from this period either; how wonderful! Growing up in Chicago, I remember his tenure there fondly (though the orchestra itself apparently didn't find him a good fit for "their" sound). I was lucky enough to experience the sensational Miraculous Mandarin (fortunately captured by RCA) in person. Thank you, Buster!

Buster said...

JAC - What a wonderful memory!

DId the Chicago players think Solti was a better match?

theblueamos said...

Thank you so much and all the best from jerusalem

centuri said...

Many thanks for this excellent and rare recording.

centuri said...

Many thanks for this excellent and rare recording.

Satyr said...

Great! Love recordings from Jean Martinon! Thanks, Buster!

David Federman said...

To all those mystified by the choice of Solti over Martinon in Chicago, don't blame the orchestra. Blame critic Claudia Cassidy who waged an unrelenting one-(wo)man war against a maestro I find even greater than Reiner (I know that will fetch accusations of blasphemy). Solti, Like Reiner, was a boss. Martinon was a leader. It is perhaps as great a compliment as any that I can pay to say that this performance of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony is not only the best I have heard, it is the only I have eve liked. I've been at war with this work all my life, especially after it was substituted for Edgard Varese's "Arcana" at a Philadelphia Orchestra concert during Muti's reign (of terror) there. Curiously, Martinon's recording of that work is perhaps the best ever made. So thanks to the miracle of symmetry, I can see some minuscule--I repeat: minuscule--semblance of logic in the substitution of Prokofiev for Varese. Why? Because Martinon's performance is so buoyant and energetic--as well as charming. Nevertheless, in my opinion, this work remains a frisson. Prokofiev becomes a full-fledged symphonist at Number 2. "Love of Three Oranges" is superb compensation. Buster, once again I owe you an unpayable debt of gratitude. More Martinon, please.

Buster said...

Hi everyone - thanks so much for the comments! Much appreciated.

Richard Bock said...

Thanks much for this wonderful music.

billinrio said...

Your blog is truly extraordinary. In regard to your apology for the "small offensive image" on the cover, I understand the nod to political correctness, but in this case, there is really no need. The figure in question is of "Saci", a character in Brazilian folklore. He is a one-legged black man, who smokes a pipe and wears a magical red cap that enables him to disappear and reappear wherever he wishes. (Wikipedia)

Buster said...

Thanks, Bill! Very helpful information.