Here are some of the more obscure recordings made by jazz violinist Joe Venuti, along with sides by swing harpist Bobby Maxwell, before he become Robert Maxwell and wrote "Ebb Tide" and "Shangri-La".
All were made for the small label Tempo - the Venuti items in 1949, and the Maxwell tunes from about the same time. This 10-inch LP is from slightly later.
 |
| Joe Venuti |
Venuti made his name from his 1926-33 recordings with guitarist Eddie Lang, who died young. While Venuti perhaps never reached the same heights, he did enjoy a very long career. These records were made during what is sometimes considered a fallow period - although it should be noted that about this same time, he was still well known enough to be a featured performer on Bing Crosby's radio show.
 |
| Brother Bones |
Although these may not be Venuti's most notable recordings, they still are quite good, and musically interesting with their unusual instrumentation. Besides Venuti, they feature Maxwell and flutist James Briggs. For a swing version of Saint-Saëns' "Danse Macabre," they are joined by another Tempo recording artist, Brother Bones, best known for his fantastic version of "Sweet Georgia Brown," which became the Harlem Globetrotters' theme song.
The Venuti items all were issued on Tempo 78s, under the names Joe Venuti, Bobby Maxwell, Jimmy Briggs & the Joe Venuti Rhythmists, Joe Venuti and Bobby Maxwell, and Joe Venuti and his Orchestra.
 |
| Bobby Maxwell |
The Bobby Maxwell items are more straightforward - mainly vehicles for Maxwell's virtuosity, which is well worth hearing in itself. These sides do not include Venuti and the other instrumentalists. I would assume they also were issued on 78, although I don't have evidence that was the case.
As mentioned, Maxwell went on to become a composer of a few hit tunes and to make numerous LPs in the 1950s and 1960s under the more dignified name Robert Maxwell.
The sound on this LP is excellent, and the record was pressed on red vinyl - which is always welcome. I don't know why I love colored vinyl, but it's the simple things that make me happy, I guess.
29 comments:
It's always a cool surprise when you pull the record out of it's sleeve and see a flash of colored vinyl!
Ern - You know it! In my world, there are few things better than a 10-inch LP on colored vinyl.
I love these impossible to find anywhere else selections! Thank you Buster.
Johnny
John - You are very welcome.
Very tasty, Buster. Many thanks indeed.
Hello Phillip - Happy to hear from you!
Thanks, Buster! You just made kind of a blah day a much better one. I really love Venuti!
Excellent! Thanks, vilstef.
I've always been a huge Robert Maxwell fan.
I have a bunch of his albums.
I've heard of Joe Venuti, but not as familiar.
Well, listening to this gem, I Like the Venuti side with Maxwell much better than the Maxwell alone.
Man, these cats swing!
I bet it's exciting to to hold the clear red wax record too.
Thanks Buster!!!
Hi Doug - Glad you like it!
Hi
Thank you.
Thanks Buster
Robert Maxwell's "Harp Fantasy" came (eventually) to be the theme song for "Radio City Playhouse".
I'm going to give these a spin, as I remember enjoying Maxwell's Xmas recordings, and Venuti's appearances on Philco Radio Time.
And if anybody reading this can think of an interesting use for colored vinyl (besides melting it into a popcorn bowl - booooorring!!), please let me know. I have a few with dull music on them and I'd like to turn them into something fun.
Thanks, Buster!
StealthMan - My advice is to hang onto the records. Who knows - your taste may change!
Lovely especially It Ain't Necessarily So. Thanks. More jazz please ;-)
Thanks! Great album!
Thank you very much for posting some very interesting posts. I have enjoyed listening to music which I might never have been aware of.
-Dan in West Michigan, USA
Dan - You are welcome!
I have to say I found this VERY agreeably quirky. It kept me guessing what they were going to do next!
Hello Buster--Venuti and Maxwell! What a treat!!! Thank you so much. I am a recently-retired violinist (after 40+ years "in the trenches") and have a deep respect for jazz violinists, not having had the chops to do it myself (country, rock and blues yes, besides the classical and musical comedies that put food on all those tables, but sadly not jazz...) and unknown Venuti is like gold. Oh, and I am old enough to have listened to old Fantasy red vinyl albums from the very early 1950s, with Dave Brubeck and others... So I guess we have a lot of interests in common. Thanks again!
Hi John - I have some of those Fantasy red vinyl records - including a couple of the Brubecks! Thanks for writing.
Salud, Buster, thanks for this, and for your illuminating and wonderfully eclectic taste. Also, just to mention another of Robert Maxwell's gifts to the world, his song "Solfeggio", after its initial release in the early '50s, was subsequently re-released as The Nairobi Trio Theme Song, after Ernie Kovacs adopted it as the musical background for his famous Nairobi Trio bit.
I've just come across this posting - is it still available? I can't get it to open.
Thanks for all these goodie!
Arrieu - I would have to reupload it, which I will do if you give me some time.
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!PIF2haDT!i2gNpx_BS-KpSREPLawGm6b2LlXIYiE2ubvIgvZhw5o
Thanks for your continued, time-consuming, hard work, transcribing this and the other forgotten masterpieces on your most dependable blog.
Andrew - You are so very welcome.
coming to this a bit late but BIg thanks
Post a Comment