Guitarist Mary Osborne made relatively few records, but the quantity of her output bears no relationship to the quality of her musicianship.
This is the only LP she recorded under her own name, for the short-lived, but very interesting Warwick label, in 1959.
![]() |
| 1955 ad |
She started out in big bands, then moved to small groups, making a number of 78s in the 40s with such artists as Beryl Booker and Coleman Hawkins. She also led at least one date herself.
On this occasion she is joined by a stellar ensemble that includes Tommy Flanagan (p), Danny Barker (rhythm-g), Tommy Potter (b), and Jo Jones (d).
Excellent sound on this one. Thanks to my pal flyingfinger for the cover image above - the scan in the download is of my worn original copy.



23 comments:
Thanks Buster. I've missed your posts. This looks like a great one. Keep them coming. I hear you are moving. You never realize just how heavy records are until you have to move them. But they are worth the trouble!!
Hello Johnny - I am moving. After the last time I moved (15 years ago), I stopped collecting 78s. Too heavy and breakable! I may stop collecting LPs this time.
wow, this one is beyond impressive detective work! With Tommy Flanagan and Jo Jones no less!! To quote The Batman's Joker, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"
thanks so much for posting.
and as for the weight of records, yeah, my brother helped me move my crates into a U-Haul one time and said to me, "Y'know, if I was CHARGING you for my time here, you could afford CDs" to which I replied, "If they would PUT this stuff on CD, I'd be the first one in line"
mrG - This LP has been on CD, once in a truncated form, another time on a Japanese CD. Apparently the LP is better sounding - or so says a friend who has my transfer and the CD.
heh, well that's the other thing, not only on CD but on CD in a format and rendering that's better than the LP. Digital /was/ supposed to be better, wasn't it? I still have all that vinyl, although I confess, I don't listen to it as much as I could.
Wow! If the music herein is anything like the cover, I'll be impressed.
Last time I moved, I had to break down and hire movers. Down from the third floor, across town, back up to the second floor. It was just too tough to even think about doing by myself or begging friends to help. Cost a small fortune. But I didn't quit collecting. :)
Hi, Buster, thanks for an interesting rarity as always. Are you leaving Cleveland area or just moving to a different home?
Hi Mindy, Me, my wife, bird and records are just moving to another house - same area.
Thanks, Buster. Haven't been by here for some time...decided I best check things out again. Looks good.
Jack
This looks terrific Buster - thanks! Can't wait to download and listen. Good luck with your move.
Buster, Mary Osborne is terrific! She has a fresh style all her own.
Thanks and good luck to you, wife and bird with the move!
I just became a member of your great blog. I also look towards new members so check out my blog:
www.orogod.blogspot.com
Best regards,
Oro
excellent - very excellent - Bravo, bravissimo - Grazie
Ale55
wonderful post, she's great, thanks
Thank you very much!
She looks a doll on that cover, too. Beatific smile.
*Slaps self on wrist for sexist comment*
Thanks a lot! :D
Hello, I'm new to this blog but really glad I found it, especially because this recording is excellent and definitely change my mind about girls and guitars :)))
(joking : Emily Remler, Mimi Fox, Sheryl Bailey, etc. already did it !)
A strong attack which has nothing to envy to other guys from this era and after, great time, beautiful lines, a true gem indeed.
Thank you very much for sharing this one !
Thank you for sharing this album! I only knew Mary Osbourne from some cuts on the cd "Guitar Rarities Volume 2". They are excellent but the guitar shares the limelight with her very appealing vocals. On this lp though, it's all about her guitar playing- which speaks for itself! Thanks again!
Wonderful - thank you for this rare recording.
:)
Hi,
Would this possibly be a candidate for remastering in ambient stereo?
Hi - yes, may take a bit of time. / Buster
New link at bottom of post (Apple lossless format, ambient stereo) / Buster
Awesome! Thank you so much!!!
Post a Comment