In my
recent post of
The Little Shows in the RCA Show Time Series, I raved about the performance of Carol Bruce, and vowed that I would present her 1958 LP if I could locate it.
Well, I finally did locate it - in my mailbox, after having to buy another copy. But it was worth it, for this is a very fine record.
 |
| Carol Bruce in 1940 |
Bruce achieved a measure of fame as early as 1940, starring on Broadway in
Louisiana Purchase and appearing on the cover of Life magazine. And she stayed in the public eye off and on for the next 40 years, ending up on US television, notably in a recurring role on
WKRP in Cincinnati.
Bruce's stage roles included an acclaimed performance as Julie in the 1946 revival of
Show Boat. This LP contains a recording of "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man." It shows her expressive style to great effect, in well-chosen songs (leaving aside the dreadful "Calypso Blues"). Her accomplished accompanists include guitarist Tony Mottola and pianist Buddy Weed. The sound is good, if with a bit too much reverb.
20 comments:
Thank you, Buster. Great job on the Tops transfer. Carol Bruce is "expressive" without being "emotive." Her emotion sounds earned and unforced.
Progress - well put.
Buster - this album has such a warm and immediate feel - those '50's combos are so natural and "with it", I never get tired of discovering lost treasures like this, and thank you for your extra effort in procuring this yet again. Your scans equal the high quality of the lp transfer as well!!
Fabulous Buster, you bought it again?!? Then it sure must be great!!! I can't express my thankfulness for this share...Eager to explore this album by Miss Bruce...
Many thanks!
j.
Thanks for posting this item - You always do such a great job - I check everyday to see what new goodies you've posted !
Thanks again
Jeff
Thanks for posting this item - You always do such a great job - I check everyday to see what new goodies you've posted !
Thanks again
Jeff
Yummmy!! And thank you for going to all the extra trouble to purchase another copy of the Carol Bruce Tops Lp. We are all the richer for it, and for knowing you!! Thank you very much. And I love the comparisons!! That is a great bonus.
Buster I was into the session index over at UME Group which has now the all of Tops Records / Pickwick Labels and the the date was 1957 although depending on the Market group it was released 1958. Sam Dickerman, owner of Top's (then)did sell it in the NY market 1957, and all other markets not until 1958. I hope that clears up the info on this fine Carol Bruce recording and a swell chose of posts once again ~ ☮ldhíppíℯЯíck ♪
Ah, Mother Carlson. Thanks, Buster, I never knew this existed.
I always loved "Mother Carlson" Thanks for posting this and mentioning it over on my place.
Thank you for this wonderful post.
Buster, Thank you for Carol Bruce, very nice!
Thanks, everyone for your wonderful comments!
Rick - special thanks for the recording info. The only sources I found said 1958, but I did think it likely that it was earlier because I have never seen a stereo issue of this.
Thrillin' to the fabulosity...
Thank you! This looks very interesting.
Thanks for the "single-cut" sample in the post! This is a great preview for those of us unfamiliar with the artist.
Many thanks, Buster.
Thanks, you never cease to amaze me!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vtvqexk35bccx8b/Carol_Bruce_-_Thrill_to_the_Fabuous_Carol_Bruce_%28remastered%29.zip/file
Thank You
Post a Comment