This Concert Hall Society release from 1954 demonstrates the high quality of music making in upstate New York at the time. It presents one of Vaughan Williams' most unusual works and compositions from Cornell University composer Robert Palmer.
The English composer is from an earlier generation than the American Palmer, but in fact Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune was written at the same time as Palmer's Chamber Concerto, and both were nearly new when this record was made.
 |
| John Hunt |
The fantasia oddly combines a barnstorming piano part (played here by John Hunt) with a choral hymn tune, somewhat in the manner of Beethoven's Choral Fantasia. This was almost certainly its first recording, and I don't believe there was another until an Adrian Boult-led performance in 1970. Also on the record are three of Vaughan Williams' most attractive folk song settings for choir.
 |
| Robert Palmer |
Robert Palmer comes from the great American lineage of Roy Harris, Howard Hanson and others of the preceding generation, although he was as much influenced by Bela Bartok. "Robert Palmer exerted an influence on the development of American music far greater than his current obscurity would suggest," writes composer Steven Stucky in an insightful remembrance of his teacher available
here. "Fashions come and fashions go, but Palmer's music is ripe for rediscovery by a wider public."
 |
| Robert Hull |
The performances, all very good, are from the Cornell A Capella Choir and the Rochester Chamber Orchestra, led by Robert Hull, then a professor of music at Cornell. He left to become dean of fine arts at Texas Christian University in 1956.
In the Palmer concerto, violinist Millard Taylor was the concertmaster and Robert Sprenkle the principal oboe of the Rochester Philharmonic. Both were longtime faculty members at the Eastman School.
22 comments:
Thanks Buster, another gap in my musical education narrowed (I'd like to say filled, but my ignorance is wide!) Always pleased to see something by RWV I haven't come across before, and the Palmer sounds interesting.
Not only the high quality of music making, but the incredible variety of music being made available! Wonderful pieces, and try to find them nowadays!
Chris in Cary
Thank you. I have this on a worn vinyl and so I am delighted to get this rarity. Your blog is interesting and nicely varied.
Lovely, thank you!
But may I point out that the FLAC link is identical to the MP3 link, pointing to the MP3 files?
Hope you can fix this!
Thanks again!
Addendum:
I mean the mediafire FLAC link is to the MP3.
The rapidshare link is of course dead.
Thanks yet again!
Sure, I have to find the files. Might take some time!
Thanks for the FLAC link, Buster!
Much appreciated!!!!!
(Irrelevant aside: I love Buster Keaton's movies, too.)
thank you for this recording. i love american orchestras playing brits. kind of makes me think of oscar wilde ("two peoples separated by a common language") crossed with "music, the universal language". got your comment at shellackophile's. -cheers, a.v.
Hope you enjoy it, Alfred!
Many thanks for this excellent transfer! I don't suppose you have Hull's pioneering recording of Flos Campi, also on CHS, do you?
I don't - it would be nice to have! Thanks for your note.
How might I contact you regarding use of your transfer of this recording?
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!HAc1VKwD!TIWGsHsqqTTTbKk4Gb19EbnlnUrTjQy1YOQyvhTzzaU
New transfer gets rid of much of the opaque quality of the original sound of the recording. A big improvement. Thank you very much!
Glad you like it! This actually is the same transfer remastered.
Very nice!
so much, Buster, for this wonderfull download. I'm an unconditional lover of Concert Hall records (Guilde Internationale du Disque in France) that remind me my young years when I was discovering classical music.
Thanks, obviously, is missing at the begenning of my post. So, thanks again a lot for your nice work with your wonderful blog
amateur - Thanks so much for your nice comments!
Thank you, Buster.
Rich
Post a Comment