We start with a 1953 release of Take Care, My Love, a nice ballad that originated with Pee Wee King. The flip is a kind of a clog dance called Singing Bells. Lou Busch (aka Joe "Fingers" Carr, who made a ton of records I have been ignoring all my life) accompanies. He and Whiting were married at the time.
Whether the marriage broke up or she just got tired of the bowler hat and arm bands, by 1954 Maggie had moved on to Nelson Riddle, who arranged the excellent Waltz to the Blues and the execrable C.O.D. Better she should have done the Merle Travis classic, Divorce Me C.O.D.
![]() |
| Billboard ad |
This pattern repeated in 1955, with a pleasant if formulaic ballad by Jerry Livingston and Carolyn Leigh, Stowaway, backed by a dreadful novelty, Allah Be Prais'd, which manages to relocate Baghdad into Persia. Riddle supervises here, as well.
The two final singles are from 1956, by which time frequent collaborator Frank DeVol was back at the musical helm. On the first single, Maggie is a young lover who is nonetheless Old Enough (for love, of course) on the one side, and an older lover who falls the Second Time in Love on the reverse. The latter song was from Harry Warren's last score, a musical version of Lost Horizon called Shangri-La, which quickly closed on Broadway.
The last single is Haunting Love, an OK rhythm ballad which DeVol graces with a mighty Wurlitzer backing, and a good cover of True Love, backed by Buddy Bregman.
All except the last record are from unplayed store stock, and the sound is exceptionally good. The Capitol News cover above is courtesy of my friend Alan Matheson.
I have located my stash of Whiting 78s, so there is much more to come.




21 comments:
Buster, this is excpetional treasure, even by your lofty standards. I can live with the novelties if it means hearing more of Margaret...
Oh boy, thanks ! Love Margaret !
Terrific. I cannot get enough Maggie! Why she isn't better revered I can't understand. She is tops with me. Please keep them coming and the great commentary too.
I don't know which I like better, the snarky commentary or the actual music. Thanks, Buster!
Fantastic! Thank you.
RonH
Some singers--Dinah Washington comes to mind--can sing anything and give a song as much due as it deserves or can expect. Margaret Whiting is another member of this elite. As I listened to these 45s, I felt like she was digging through mine tailings, trying to strike gold twice. Take "Stowaway," which, besides proving Ms. Whiting is adept at waltz time, harkens back to her mega-hit, "Far Away Places." The same goes for "Old Enough," one of the innumerable songs of the time about teenage longing that remind me of "Too Young." So, all in all, we have mostly ephemera made memorable by the performer. Please don't get me wrong. Margaret Whiting is never less than consummate, even when given (she certainly couldn't have CHOSEN "Allah Be Prais'd") third-rate material. Having said this, I must call attention to the somewhat remarkable "Waltz to the Blues" and the glorious rendition of "True Love." Thank you for all this lost, if not always lasting, treasure. And, once again, as Ernie said, your articulate commentary is as enjoyable as the music it accompanies. I wish a record company would employ you to compile albums and write notes for them. This blog is one of the very best there is. Please don't ever tire of it.
Wonderful ! Many thanks for these.
Bob
Thanks everyone for the flattering comments. And David, that would be nice if there were such a company . . . but it's pleasant being here among like-minded friends!
You're right that Stowaway is an attempt to recapture Far Away Places - hadn't noticed that!
Buster, there is always room for more Margaret! Thank you for sharing the music!
Another great offering, Buster. Thanks so very much. Your care and sharing are awesome.
You ain't just a kiddin' 'bout this collection. I picked up the earlier post and can't wait for the 78's. Thanx Buster!
Oooooohhhh - I loved the previous Whiting post (which introduced me to her), so I gladly will explore these sides...Many Thanks - Buster man!
j.
the two mediafire links (mp3 & FLAC) appear to be identical
Wonderful,thank you so much
I know we are all grateful for the long-out-of-print recordings you give us the opportunity to hear, so thank you for your continuing efforts.
The Margaret Whiting recordings were especially appreciated. Particularly the Capitol singles, which included a number of sides not available in any of the many Whiting CD compilations.
Wondering if you might have four particular titles that are still among the missing. These are, with the "flip" side in () to help in identifying the record:
When You Make Love to Me (b/w (b/w Along with Me)
What Am I Gonna Do About You? (b/w Beware My Heart)
What Did I Do? (b/w Heat Wave)
A Dreamer With a Penny (b/w Forever and Ever)
Perhaps you could include these in a future set of Whiting tracks? (Or even, if possible, send them as a download?)
Thank you for the consideration, and -- again -- for your fine work.
punkinblue - I would have to look. I am sure I did not transfer all my Whiting singles; frankly, I can't even recall what I did transfer! Let me reexamine these files and net out which ones I have not recorded. I am almost certain I have A Dreamer with a Penny / Forever and Ever; not sure about the others. Thanks for your note!
punkinblue - I do have all the records you are seeking; however, my stack of dozens of Whiting 78s was water-damaged some years ago and I am not sure I can derive an acceptable transfer from these disks. I'll have to see.
Thanks so much for making the effort to check your Whiting records. Encouraging that you have the missing titles. Hope they aren't so damaged that you will be able to work with them, so we can look forward to those titles not otherwise "out there." Plus, of course, any others you feel worthwhile.
Margaret has been under-valued in recent decades, your work to help keep her "alive" is very much appreciated.
Remastered version:
https://mega.nz/#!GIdzGKrJ!Obg4Ub9M4SzUBcADfmWijWYGcuXK8TCFBMBEnONlYX4
thank you, Buster
Thank you, Buster.
Rich
Post a Comment