24 December 2010

Happy Holidays with Ray Noble and Mr. and Mrs. Radio

This 1949 recording is, as the cover proclaims, a "musical story," a genre that had been popularized in the 40s by Gordon Jenkins' Manhattan Tower.

The Jenkins work is one of the more popular items presented on this blog. Actually it's popped up three times - the original LP issue, Jenkins' later expanded version, and a post devoted to the graphics of the original 78 set.

Elliott Lewis
This set will remind you of the Jenkins work, if only because the male lead is the same - Elliott Lewis, who appears here with his wife Cathy. The Lewises were called "Mr. and Mrs. Radio" (at least by their publicist) and were quite active on the network shows of the time. Elliott was best known for his role as Frank Remley on the Phil Harris-Alice Faye show. Cathy was the "my" in My Friend Irma, who was played by Marie Wilson.

Cathy Lewis
The Lewises were pros and perform with the pleasing artificiality that was a feature of old-time radio. The anonymous script has the couple remembering notable holidays in their shared past; in truth, not much of a premise even for a 10-inch, 24-minute LP. Nonetheless, Cathy finds enough motivation to evoke anger, tears, fear, laughter, excitement and love. Elliott is less emotional. It might have been more interesting if they had switched roles, but this presentation is an entirely conventional one.

Cigarette card
Bandleader-composer Ray Noble leads the orchestra and apparently provides the underscore, which includes a wistful theme motif. But unlike Gordon Jenkins in Manhattan Tower, he doesn't compose the songs that are heard, except for The Very Thought of You (which Cathy presents). Instead he presents familiar songs representative of the various holidays.

Noble became a well-known English bandleader before leaving for the US in 1935. He was particularly associated with the superb vocalist Al Bowlly, even though Bowlly made hundreds of records with other bands. The Bowlly versions of Noble compositions Goodnight Sweetheart, The Touch of Your Hand, The Very Thought of You, and Love Is the Sweetest Thing are among the finest romantic pop records ever made.

Bowlly perished in the London blitz and no vocalist appears here. At the time these records were made, Noble had been backing fellow Columbia artist Buddy Clark on some popular disks, until Clark himself was killed in an October 1949 plane crash. (Many Clark records have appeared on this blog.)

Although this is only partially a Christmas record, its sentimentality and beautiful presentation make it a fitting conclusion to our offerings of this season. Happy holidays, everyone!

17 comments:

Buster said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/434582942/Ray_Noble_-_Happy_Holidays.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?u656njxqmkawbeh

Please leave a comment if you like Ray Noble, Mr. and Mrs. Radio, Christmas or me.

Ernie said...

Thanks Buster. Yet another treasure that I've never seen before.

Merry Christmas Eve!

Ron said...

Thanks for all of your great shares throughout the year. It's your Christmas shares I appreciate the most.

Merry Christmas, Ron

BobSanders said...

Many thanks for this great share. Happy Christmas

Bob

John said...

Buster,

Many thanks for all the great...and not so great...posts, but especially for this Ray Noble treat. Funny you should post today as I was just about to listen to the Phil Harris Alice Faye Show with guest star Jack Benny as Santa. Frankie 'I know a guy' Remley was a real gem in those shows.
Thank you again and best wishes for a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a happy, HEALTHY 2011.

John

Luis said...

Thanks Buster. Rare Ray Noble indeed!

Joe/Tom said...

Thank you another Christmas treat !!

Ernie said...

Happy Christmas to you Buster! Have a merry one!

EricSwede said...

WOW! Since I first heard the "Happy New Year" side on the Columbia "A Big Band Christmas" CD I've been hoping I'd be able to hear this in it's entirety. Thank you! I did some research on the tracks from the "A Big Band Christmas" CD some years ago and posted it as a review on Amazon, originally recorded in Dec 1947 and originally released as Columbia 78 set #C 184 in June 1949 and it sold for $3.15. Go to Google Books and search "Happy Holidays" "Ray Noble" and you'll find some mentions and a review (so-so) from Billboard, August 6, 1949. Use the + magnifying glass for the best view. Thanks you so much, this is the best Christmas present!!!

EricSwede said...

Also, please pardon my info pushing-I used to be a research librarian and I can't help myself. Thanks you again!

Buster said...

Thanks Eric - I appreciate the information! I believe the 10-inch LP came out at the same time as the 78 set. It was issued in 1949, anyway.

Tucker Van Horn said...

This is great, and thanks for the share! I listened to Ray Noble a lot as a kid, and this brings back memories. There are also some cuts (about 100 or so) on Internet Archive for anyone who is interested.

Kwork said...

Thank you Buster. Amazing that the Mediafire link is still good 16 years later. Much appreciated.

Buster said...

Kwork - That is surprising. Glad to hear it! Thanks for your message.

Bryan said...

Thank you Buster for sharing this.
When I am not listening to OTR Westerns while working, some of the other OTR shows I listen to, Elliott, Cathy, or both, pop up now and then. Always nice when they do.
I have caught a few of Ray's appearances on OTR too. Especially with Burns and Allen. Maybe, one day, I will checkout the Bergan and McCarthy shows.
A really nice album and well worth listening to.

Buster said...

Bryan - Ray was in a 1938 Fred Astaire musical with Burns and Allen called "A Damsel in Distress."

Bryan said...

I saw it once when I was a kid, and just remember how wooden Joan was to Ginger. But, I had only seen a couple of the Astaire-Rogers films, The Gay Divorcee and Top Hat up to that point. So, I remember little of this film.