13 December 2010

Christmas in Montréal with Raoul Jobin

Raoul Jobin, a Québec City native, was a well known exponent of the French operatic repertoire in the middle decades of the last century. With his large voice, beautifully produced throughout its range, he also branched out into Wagnerian roles in the prime of his career.


Jobin (left) at a recording session
in Canada
Jobin recorded these Christmas songs with the Montréal choir Les Disciples de Massenet in 1945, according to the Canadian Encyclopedia. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but this Canadian 10-inch LP would seem to date from about 1954, so the earlier date may be a typo.

Les Disciples de Massenet, who are still in existence, were founded in 1928 by Charles Goulet, who leads them on this record. The organist is Roland Roy.

The program is most enjoyable and the sound is excellent.

8 comments:

Ernie said...

Cough-cough. Somethings missing here... ;)

Buster said...

I can't get used to this new way of handling links!

http://rapidshare.com/files/434584518/Raoul_Jobin_-_Cantiques_de_Noel.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?86869bor9s8rf79

sturla said...

Thank you very much for this LP and for sharing Beverly Shea items.

The performances and the sound are excellent.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally posting the link. I nearly went blind looking for it :)

Victor said...

Those recordings were really made in or around 1945 and issued on 78rpm. They were later reissued on 45s and LPs and of course on CDs.
I remember having heard those recordings on the radio from my early youth.
Raoul Jobin was the pride of Quebec and Canada.

Joyeux Noel,

Victor Roy
Montreal, QC

Buster said...

Thanks, Victor. So the dates in the Canadian Encyclopedia are correct. Are you any relation to the organist?

Victor said...

Hi Buster,
I did some research on Roland Roy. I am quite sure he is not related to my family. There many different Roy family roots in Québec.
Roland Roy was born in St-Sauveur parish in Quebec City, same place as Raoul Jobin. They probably knew each other and Roland ended up accompanying Raoul on some recordings and, probably, concerts.
In Raoul Jobin's biography, I found the Christmas recordings were made in September 1945.
Happy Holidays,

Victor

Buster said...

Thanks Victor - I appreciate the information!