I recently came across this 1952 Mitch Miller LP, and wanted to bring it to you even though I suspect it will elicit another chorus of groans from the people who think Mitch not only had the beard of a devil but cloven hooves as well.
But where else but on a Mitch Miller record could you hear Greensleeves presented in oom-pah style? No one else would dare - or, I suppose, care - to do so. On a Miller record, everything is beautifully done and imaginative, but with little if any regard for conventional good taste. The latter tendency he shared with musics that came later - the former, not so much. I have to admit that I do not require my listening material to be all that tasteful - but I sure hate it when it's dull and poorly done (like most rock music). I find records like this amusing and enjoyable, while others retreat in horror.
The excellent vocalists on these records are the Paulette Sisters, Peter Hanley and Burt Taylor, who were, I believe, Columbia contract artists.
The download includes two Columbia ads that promote this LP and the other pop materials that the label was releasing at the same time under Mitch's aegis. The ads are fascinating items, showing how repertoire was migrating from various genres into the pop realm in the restless search for new material. (Perhaps Mitch's oddest idea in this regard was to have Sammy Kaye and his Orchestra record It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.)
One of the ads contains a column by Mitch in which he praises Hank Williams (an M-G-M artist), noting that Williams compositions had recently become hits for Tony Bennett (Cold, Cold Heart), Jo Stafford and Frankie Laine (Hey, Good Lookin'), Rosemary Clooney (Half as Much) and Jo again (Jambalaya). This was written at the end of Williams' very short career - he would die only three months later, at age 29.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
2 months ago


8 comments:
Hey Buster, if you ask me, you can't have too many tributes to Mitch! I remember the Greensleeves recording from a single 78 I had long ago, but had never heard the other items. I thoroughly enjoyed them, especially the ones on which Mitch played oboe/English horn. He borrowed a bit from Saint-Saens on "Song of Delilah," eh?
Hi Bryan - What I like about Mitch is that he borrowed from everywhere - Israeli songs, South Africa, the classics . . . whatever. That makes his records much more interesting to me than the three chords and a cloud of coke crowd that followed him.
I can't help wondering if Mitch had what we Brits find to be a rare thing amongst Americans, a sense of humour...
Mitch Miller... with horns.
Sounds like the devil to me :)
He had a devilish sense of humor.
One can never have enough Mitch Miller imho, I think that if you post one or two a month, that would be just fine! Tanks for what you have put up already!
RIP Mitch.
Steve
Remastered version - Apple lossless format:
https://mega.co.nz/#!2dUFwbBJ!9w_61n_tpYNuNjXsDce90i9ruktPZ4rIpU3J1ujYRP8
Post a Comment