My friend Bill recently shared this at his blog People vs. Dr. Chilledair, but since Bill only leaves things up for a short time and I had a request for it, here is Carole Simpson's Singin' and Swingin', from my own copy of the LP
A talented singer, Simpson made just two albums - the one for Tops Mayfair from 1960 and an earlier one for Capitol.
Here all the songs are by producer Steve Allen, a comedian, TV host, songwriter, author and pianist. Allen had something of an industry going with any number of records by him and others presenting his songs, which are fair to good in quality. This particular program contains his greatest hit, This Could Be the Start of Something Big, and what may be his second greatest hit, Spring in Maine.
Simpson certainly does well by Allen here and the record is entirely a success - certainly more so than the pressing. Tops was a budget label and its vinyl was carefully chosen to present a high hiss level. In the case of some of its product, this could be considered a benefit, but here it detracts. I have mitigated this to some degree and the results are, I think, as pleasing as Miss Simpson's appearance on the cover.
For more on Carole, see this article on Bill Reed's blog.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
3 months ago


26 comments:
And Carole has a more recent CD on---plug plug---on SSJ Records (Japan)
Many thanks, Buster, for the lossless post of this wonderful album.
Carole also recorded an LP called "Remembering"
Featuring Carole on Vocals, David Kuhn on Bass and Bryn Mathieu on Drums. With songs written by Gershwin, Howard and Van Heusen/Burke. Included are "Summer Time", "Fly Me To The Moon" and "Polka Dots And Moonbeams"; 15 Total Tracks. Track Listing: 1. We All Need Love (Vocal) 2. Out Of Nowhere 3. Who Am I? (Vocal) 4. All Blues 5. Prelude To A Kiss 6. By Myself 7. Polka Dots And Moonbeams 8. On Green Dolphin Street 9. (In Other Words) Fly Me To The Moon (Vocal) 10. It's A Wonderful World 11. Exactly Like You (Vocal) 12. We'll Be Together Again 13. Summer Time 14. September In The Rain 15. (Have I Stayed) Too Long At The Fair?
Thank you for posting this VERY hard to find album. After searching the internet, I finally found the CD in Japan and paid a kings ransom for it. I am happy that others will get to hear more of this great artist. Thank you for posting this.
Thanks for the comments, everyone, and thanks for reminding me that Carole has issued a more recent collection. I'll point that out on the main page as soon as I get a chance.
Buster, thanks so much for taking care of this, I will no doubt enjoy it!
Thank's for Carole Simpson, I absolutely love this singer. I have the version that Mr Reed posted a while ago, but I gonna listen to your version as well!
I remember that Mr Reed said on his blog that her recent cd comes from various sessions from Simpson's own collection. I do hope that she intend to release more! Most of all I hope she has some (live) material from the beginning of her career. The 'Remembering' cd is extremely rare, only seen it on amazon, but unavailable...
I also posted this question at Mr Reed's place but never got an answer to it, maybe I have more luck here; In some magazine from the late '50s I have red that Simspon signed a 5 year contract with Capitol. She only released 1 album for that label, so I was wondering if 'Tops' has something to do with Capitol and/or if there's a reason for just releasing one album while having a 5year contract?
And a last question; does someone know who the musicans are on her debut LP (g, b, ds) and by who the arrangements are? That info isn't included on my Jasmine reissue.
And Buster who are the musicians here?
thank's
j.
Oops sorry, 'bout my last question; I know who the arrangers are on her debut LP, but don't know which arranger arranged which tune...
j.
jeronimo,
I don't have the Capitol LP, so I can't help you out there. Tops was not affiliated with Capitol. It was a budget label that signed quite a few mainstream artists after their careers had declined in the rock era. There is no information on the Tops record about the musicians or arrangers, unfortunately. As for her contract situation, there probably was a cancellation clause that allowed Capitol to drop her at their option.
Thank you Buster. I was one of those who asked for this album. All the best
Dear Buster,
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you and thank you for the wonderful job that you're doing with this website, presenting singers and musicians to the world that would otherwise go unnoticed.
I was wondering if there is any way you could upload the Carole Simpson and Dorothy Carless tracks in mp3 format. I would like to listen to them but don't know how to convert flac files into mp3.
Thanks and I'd appreciate any help!
T.L.S.
Ok thank's for your time!
Thanks Buster ... This looks good (my interest lies w the Allen songs)... I'll play tomorrow ... Baron VB
Thank you Buster - a new name for me so looking forward to hearing Carole.
Discographical information is very sparse about musicians on her two lps - almost non-existent in fact.
But it's the music that counts after all.
Thanks for posting this.
Carole Simpson's "Gentelman Friend" was on a comp called Music for a Bachelor's Den, Vol. 7: Sex Kittens - The Blondes. Good to see she is still singing. And posting about her new CD.
At first I thought this was the other "Steve Allen Presents............." but it turns out that was Sandy Warner so I came back for this one and thank you.
@ Jazzman,
I have that one as well if you or anyone else is interested.
Thanks. I do have that other one.
@Teotónio L. de Sousa
Hi, Probably too late, but in case you are using OS X, there is a free simple application that will decode FLAC files into AIFF that you can then convert in iTunes into MP3 or AAC in the bitrate you prefer- its name is xACT—just google it!. I have absolutely no idea of what exists on the Windows and Linux sides, but a brief search should land you plenty of good results.
Also, thanks for this wonderful blog!
Vocalist Carol Simpson is now appearing with all the other legends in The Great Beyond.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/rgj/obituary.aspx?pid=162716949#fbLoggedOut
I'm going to give this one a spin, since I remember enjoying her "All About Carol" LP.
Could you please re-upload to Mega or Mediafire
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!iB1FmAQB!_toyKZDaFJSnV_OGkPXkq9FG0VqiUFisA0XRsKDT4JE
Thank you again, my friend!
Buster, Did you ever post "All About Carole" (Simpson, that is). If not, just say the word and I will post it in high-res m4a. It is an incredible album. I also have a 'live' album that I can post.
No, David - I don't have that one, and would appreciate it!
Post a Comment