01 November 2009

Stravinsky's 1950 Recording of Apollo


This is the final installment of LPs of Igor Stravinsky conducting his own works on labels other than Columbia, which handled most of his recordings throughout his career.

The major work on this RCA LP is Apollo (also known as Apollon Musagète), a neoclassical ballet score from 1928. This, Stravinsky's first recording of the piece, comes from 1950 New York sessions.

Also here is the 1946 Concerto in D, sometimes called the Basle Concerto, one of the many important works commissioned by Paul Sacher. This recording, also made in New York, is from 1949. The violin soloists are John Corigliano and Michael Rosenker. (I believe Corigliano was concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic at that time.) As far as I can tell, this is the only commercial recording of this piece by Stravinsky.

The sound and performances are very good.

NEW LINK

10 comments:

Scoredaddy said...

Buster, has this, and the other Sravinsky's you presented ever been released on CD?

Buster said...

Hi Scoredaddy,

Not sure about that. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Your question reminds me that I forgot to respond to your question about Victor Young - I haven't seen an announcement of a CD release.

David Federman said...

Buster,

Apollo, Orpheus and Agon--what a great trilogy. Thanks for this recording. I only knew Stravinsky's later one for Columbia. I like this one as much. I hope some day you find the recording of "Orpheus," which I recall as being sublime.

Ewan said...

Great post, thanks, and the 1949 Mass. Have you heard the 1954 Columbia "Chamber Music" disc on ML 5107 which contains songs and instrumental works and features the likes of Marni Nixon, Grace-Lynn Moore etc? That would be interesting, and to my knowledge it's never been on CD

Buster said...

Ewan - Thanks for stopping by. I just checked my stock of Columbia Stravinskys, and no ML 5107. You're right - it would be a great post.

Anonymous said...

Better sounding than the stereo remake. Beautiful transfer ! Thank You so much !

аффтор said...

@Buster
lot of thanks for this upload! Stravinsky in his earlier renditions seems to be more full-blooded and electrifying. like any old wine preferred to the freshly bottled :^).
@Ewan
seems to be intriguing. i love Marni Nixon having both her Schoenberg (RCA) and Webern (Columbia) recordings. but Stravinsky...
it would be a real surprise.

аффтор said...

wo-o-o-w... link dead. won't you be so kind to re-upload it? (BTW along with the Berlin Jeu des cartes, also dead now)

Buster said...

Sorry, most of my Rapidshare links are dead. (I left them because of their legendarily strange "Rapids" policy.) I do not have all my transfers archived, so not sure I can comply.

аффтор said...

lot of thanks, dear Buster!
i've found this re-up (along with the pre-war Jeu de cartes) right now, and thank you for doing your best in difficult conditions of the underground struggle.
regards,
a