
Many of you enjoyed the recording of Manfred from the Indianapolis Symphony and Fabien Sevitzky, so here is another pseudonymous Tchaikovsky record from the same forces.
As I explained last time out, in the early 50s, RCA issued many old symphonic recordings on its budget Camden label under made-up names. In this instance, the Indianapolis orchestra became the "Sussex Symphony" and Sevitzky became anonymous.
![]() |
| Fabien Sevitzky |
This particular recording was made late in the orchestra's tenure with RCA, in March 1946. By that time, the band had become a very good one, and this performance gave me much pleasure - but then I love the lesser Tchaikovsky symphonies. Here we have the first symphony, sometimes called Winter Dreams (or Winter Daydreams, as RCA has it).
Adding to the my pleasure is the simply miked, coherent recording, with just enough of the hall resonance to give the sound picture a vivid sense of reality. This type of recording could not be more out of style, but I find it very satisfying.
LINK to 2025 remaster
Adding to the my pleasure is the simply miked, coherent recording, with just enough of the hall resonance to give the sound picture a vivid sense of reality. This type of recording could not be more out of style, but I find it very satisfying.
LINK to 2025 remaster


8 comments:
Hi Buster,
Thanks for this! Compliments your transfer of Manfred wonderfully. Sevitzky really built a good orchestra in Indianapolis no doubt.
Another request for you: Do you have the Remington LP of H Arthur Brown conducting Don Gillis' "Tulsa : A symphonic Portrait in Oil?" If so, this would make a terrific offering!
Thanks again,
Fred
Hi Fred,
Glad you liked it. I don't think I have that Gillis record, although I will check to make sure. There is another Gillis item down below, if you haven't seen it.
Unfortunately this is not available any more from Rapidshare.
Could you possibly reupload this and the Manfredd with Sevitzky?? It would be appreciated as much as all the other great offerings that you have shared.
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!WZNhgboA!WSpHxiw0aMThoxuOEMcV4DEUPVY7colg37nELAR3rOc
Thank you for reloading this concert, Buster!
Muchas gracias por esta bella grabación, saludos.
De nada!
Post a Comment